Manicotti with Creamed Chicken and Almonds is stuffed with a mixture of diced chicken, spinach and ricotta cheese and topped with a creamy Gruyere cheese sauce and sliced almonds. So rich and delicious and makes a really impressive restaurant quality meal.
What to Serve with Manicotti with Creamed Chicken and Almonds:
- The spinach can be left out but it adds some good nutrition and doesn’t affect the flavor.
- Sauteed mushrooms or finely chopped steamed broccoli can be substituted for the spinach.
- I love the flavor of Gruyere, but it is expensive. Swiss cheese can be used instead, but it is not as flavorful.
- You will need aboout 3 cups of diced cooked chicken for the filling. I like to use rotisserie chicken or cook 2 to 3 chicken breasts in my crock pot.
- The manicotti can be assembled up to 8 hours ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to bake it. Add about 5 minutes onto the baking time.
- Diced ham can be substituted for the chicken for an equally delicious meal.
- The filling has 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for a little spiciness. You can reduce the amount to 1/4 teaspoon or omit altogether if you don’t want it spicy.
- I like the crunch that the almonds give this dish, but they can be left out.
Try These Other Italian Favorites:
- Italian Sausage Manicotti– my favorite manicotti
- Italian Meatloaf– smothered in fontina cheese and tomato sauce
- Creamy Chicken Lasagna– similar to this manicotti, but in lasagna form
- Cajun Shrimp Lasagna Roll-Ups– incredible!
Manicotti with Creamed Chicken and Almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed in paper towels to get rid of excess water
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 box manicotti shells, cooked according to package directions.
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth. When thickened, whisk in 1/2 cup of heavy cream.Simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in Gruyere cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add crushed red pepper flakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, spinach, ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and egg. Stir to mix well. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.Add in 1/2 cup of the sauce. Stir.
- Stuff manicotti shells with the chicken mixture. Arrange manicotti in baking dish.
- Mix the remaning 1/4 cup of heavy cream into the gruyere sauce and pour over the manicotti.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and the almonds. Cover and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake another 5 minutes.