September is all about easy, back-to-school meals the whole family will enjoy. With this Crescent Lasagna recipe you get all the flavors of lasagna between flaky layers of crescent roll dough.
A super thick tomato meat sauce, with both ground beef and Italian sausage for supreme flavor, is spread on top of a rectangle of crescent roll dough.
Next comes a cheese mixture made from cottage cheese, 2 eggs, and Parmesan cheese. If you don’t like cottage cheese, use ricotta cheese. I think using cottage cheese for a lasagna is a southern thing. But even if you think you don’t like cottage cheese, try it for lasagna. It is super, super creamy.
A thick layer of shredded mozzarella cheese comes next and then a second can of crescent roll dough is unrolled and placed on top.
The only slightly tricky part of this recipe is getting the top and bottom layers of crescent roll dough sealed around the edges. And it’s difficult to get it perfectly shaped.
But with a meal that tastes this yummy, does it really matter what it looks like?
Meat sauce, gooey cheese, and buttery dough is always a winning combination!
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage, I use hot
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large pan, brown ground beef and Italian sausage, breaking meat apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once you get the meat crumbled, add onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add Italian seasoning, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes and remove from heat. Mixture will be very thick.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and cottage cheese. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Unroll one can of crescent dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Press together edges and perforations between pieces of crescent roll dough to make one continuous piece of dough.
- Spread meat mixture on top of dough to within 1 inch of the sides.
- Spread cottage cheese mixture on top of meat mixture.
- Spread mozzarella over cottage cheese mixture.
- Unroll second can of dough and place on top. Press together edges and perforations.
- Press the edges of the top piece of dough together with the bottom edge to make a seam all the way around the rectangle.
- Combine 1 tablespoon melted butter with garlic sauce and chopped parsley and brush on top of dough.
- Place in oven for 25 to 27 minutes, until golden brown.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Weeknight Favorites
Mexican Chicken Cornbread Casserole
15 thoughts on “Crescent Lasagna”
It would be nice to not only put how long to bake it but also what temp to set your oven at unless you use the crescent rolls baking degree. If so that should be part of the recipe because most people wouldn’t think of that.
That recipe is awesome it has been around for 42 years! I love it. Thanks for digging that one up.
Crescent rolls are now sold in solid sheets. No more pinching closed the seams. Just roll out with a rolling pin to the right size, fill and bake. Purchased 2 cans at Publix last month to make lasagna.
It’s now even easier. Crescent rolls are now sold in complete sheets. No pinching the separations together ever again. Just rolls out with a rolling pin to the desired size, fill and bake. I bought two cans at Publix last month to make lasagna.
Gotta make this, wow 🙂 What size pan do you use? Sounds yummylicious!
Wow what a genius twist on lasagna! I can’t wait to make this.
That’s a clever way to go with lasagna!
Oh yummy! You always cook food that I would eat happily. I think I could have dinner at your place every day 😀
This is such a great idea! I am all about the quick and easy meals these days!
Whoa! This lasagna sounds awesome! I love the idea of all that lasagna type goodness with the buttery crescent dough!
Beef, sausage, cottage cheese ALL layered between flaky crescent rolls? YUM! This is beyond perfect for a busy weeknight dinner! LOVE it! Cheers, to a fabulous day!
This looks to die for! Those flaky crescents and tomatoey filling really take lasagna to a whole other level 🙂
Love lasagna! And this crescent lasagna looks amazingly delish.
This sounds like the perfect back-to-school meal, Christin! Or for me, perfect on busy weeknights. Love the use of crescent rolls in here!