September is all about easy, back-to-school meals the whole family will enjoy. With this Crescent Lasagna recipe you get all the flavors of lasagna between flaky layers of crescent roll dough.
A super thick tomato meat sauce, with both ground beef and Italian sausage for supreme flavor, is spread on top of a rectangle of crescent roll dough.
Next comes a cheese mixture made from cottage cheese, 2 eggs, and Parmesan cheese. If you don’t like cottage cheese, use ricotta cheese. I think using cottage cheese for a lasagna is a southern thing. But even if you think you don’t like cottage cheese, try it for lasagna. It is super, super creamy.
A thick layer of shredded mozzarella cheese comes next and then a second can of crescent roll dough is unrolled and placed on top.
The only slightly tricky part of this recipe is getting the top and bottom layers of crescent roll dough sealed around the edges. And it’s difficult to get it perfectly shaped.
But with a meal that tastes this yummy, does it really matter what it looks like?
Meat sauce, gooey cheese, and buttery dough is always a winning combination!
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage, I use hot
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large pan, brown ground beef and Italian sausage, breaking meat apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once you get the meat crumbled, add onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add Italian seasoning, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes and remove from heat. Mixture will be very thick.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and cottage cheese. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Unroll one can of crescent dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Press together edges and perforations between pieces of crescent roll dough to make one continuous piece of dough.
- Spread meat mixture on top of dough to within 1 inch of the sides.
- Spread cottage cheese mixture on top of meat mixture.
- Spread mozzarella over cottage cheese mixture.
- Unroll second can of dough and place on top. Press together edges and perforations.
- Press the edges of the top piece of dough together with the bottom edge to make a seam all the way around the rectangle.
- Combine 1 tablespoon melted butter with garlic sauce and chopped parsley and brush on top of dough.
- Place in oven for 25 to 27 minutes, until golden brown.