Bacon and potatoes are of course a classic combination. I’ve wrapped potato wedges in bacon before, but using tater tots is even more scrumptious. There is something about their crispy exterior and nice soft interior that kids and adults alike can’t resist.
Adding a little barbecue sauce to the bacon adds a layer of flavor and smokiness. A little sliver of jalapeno wrapped inside the bacon gives these babies a nice kick. But don’t worry. The cool, creamy ranch dip helps cool your mouth down.
If you’ll be serving kids who might object to the heat of the jalapenos, leave the jalapenos off of half of them. They’ll still be super yummy.
Make as many of these as you have the patience for. It’s a little time consuming to wrap all the tater tots and get that jalapeno situated in there just so. But it’s so worth it. They’ll disappear in a flash.
Note: Be extra careful to wash your hands well after handling the jalapenos and definitely do not touch your eyes.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Jalapeno Bacon Tater Tots with Ranch Dipping Sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1 bag frozen extra crispy tater tots
- 6-8 slices of bacon, cut in half lengthwise and cut into thirds, so you get 6 pieces from 1 slice
- 2 jalapenos thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 of a .4-ounce package of Buttermilk Ranch mix, I use Hidden Valley Ranch
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a wire rack on top of a large baking sheet and lightly spray rack with cooking spray.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush barbecue sauce on both sides of bacon.
- For each tater tot, place a jalapeno slice flat against the side of the tater tot, and wrap bacon all the way around tater tot so that it completely covers the jalapeno. Place on wire rack.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until bacon is brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, mix together ranch mix, buttermilk, and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
More Finger Foods