Jalapeno Bacon Tater Tots with Ranch Dipping Sauce make a fantastic salty/spicy appetizer. They pack a lot of heat and have a wonderful crispy exterior. Finger food doesn’t get any better than this.
Bacon and potatoes are of course a classic combination. There is something about their crispy exterior and nice soft interior that kids and adults alike can’t resist.
Adding a little barbecue sauce to the bacon adds a layer of flavor and smokiness. A little sliver of jalapeno wrapped inside the bacon gives these babies a nice kick. But don’t worry. The cool, creamy ranch dip helps cool your mouth down.
- Cooking spray
- Frozen Tater Tots
- BBQ Sauce- use your favorite.
- Ranch dressing mix
Jalapeno Bacon Tater Tots Recipe Tips
If you’ll be serving kids who might object to the heat of the jalapenos, leave the jalapenos off of half of them. They’ll still be super yummy.
Make as many of these as you have the patience for. It’s a little time consuming to wrap all the tater tots and get that jalapeno situated in there just so. But it’s so worth it. They’ll disappear in a flash.
Best eaten right away.
Do NOT use thick cut bacon.
Note: Be extra careful to wash your hands well after handling the jalapenos and definitely do not touch your eyes.
More Great Finger Foods To Try:
- Fried Mac and Cheese
- Bacon Cheese Ball Bites
- Fried Jalapeno Popper Bites
- Barbecue Bacon Meatballs
- Sweet Little Smokies Rolls
- Cooking spray
- 1 bag frozen extra crispy tater tots
- 6-8 slices of bacon, cut in half lengthwise and cut into thirds, so you get 6 pieces from 1 slice
- 2 jalapenos thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 of a .4-ounce package of Buttermilk Ranch mix, I use Hidden Valley Ranch
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a wire rack on top of a large baking sheet and lightly spray rack with cooking spray.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush barbecue sauce on both sides of bacon.
- For each tater tot, place a jalapeno slice flat against the side of the tater tot, and wrap bacon all the way around tater tot so that it completely covers the jalapeno. Place on wire rack.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until bacon is brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, mix together ranch mix, buttermilk, and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published May 7, 2013.