Easy Chocolate Caramel Bars- this super easy dessert is made from caramel candies and German Chocolate Cake Mix, plus a few nuts. These bars are wonderfully rich and chewy with lots of chocolate and caramel flavor.
Chocolate and caramel is one of my favorite flavor combinations and these Chocolate and Caramel Bars are the stuff that dreams are made of. Even though they are made with cake mix, they end up tasting like caramel-filled brownies with a layer of brownie on the bottom, then a caramel layer, followed by another brownie layer.
Quick and Easy Recipe
Typically I prefer to bake from scratch, but I do appreciate how quick and easy and foolproof desserts made with cake mix are. I usually have 3 or 4 boxes of cake mix in my pantry. That way I always have the ingredients for a delicious dessert on hand.
This easy bar recipe is so simple and only requires 6 ingredients: caramels, cake mix, evaporated milk, butter, chocolate chips, and nuts. You can use pecans or walnuts, or leave the nuts out alltogether.
The hardest part of this recipe is unwrapping all the caramels. But it is a great task to put children to work on.
You can use any kind of chocolate cake mix instead of German Chocolate Cake Mix.
This recipe calls for 2/3 a cup of evaporated milk which is how much milk is in a 5-ounce can. If you have a larger can, but don’t want to waste what is leftover, use it in you coffee, a smoothie, or add a little to your eggs when you scramble them. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Easy Bar Recipes
- Easy Fudge Bars
- Southern Chess Squares
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- M&M Blondies
- Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars
Easy Chocolate Caramel Bars
- 50 Kraft caramels
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 7×11-inch baking dish.
- Place caramels in a medium saucepan with 1/3 a cup of evaporated milk. Heat over low heat, stirring continuously, until caramels are completely melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, 1/3 cup of evaporated milk, melted butter and nuts.Spread half the mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust. Pour the caramel mixture on top and then scatter the remaining cake mixture evenly on top of the caramel.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. It will still look underdone in the middle but as the caramel cools, it will firm up. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.