These Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Bars have 2 layers of oatmeal with a layer of rich chocolaty fudge in between. They are one of my very favorite bars to bake and to eat.
I must say bars in general are one of my favorite desserts to make. They’re so easy and versatile. When it comes to a sweet treat, I’ll almost always choose a bar or brownie over a cookie
Sorry cookie lovers!
There’s just enough chocolate in these Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Bars to satisfy a chocolate craving, but the oatmeal layers add a nice flavor and texture contrast. Some instant coffee granules added to the fudge layer add to the flavor but don’t really add a “coffee” taste.
The same oatmeal mixture of oats, flour, brown sugar, and butter is used for the bottom layer and the top, but the texture of the bottom is more crunchy and the top is more crumbly.
Together all the layers combine to make one delicious moist and chewy bar. You are going to love these Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Bars. They are the perfect after school snack or picnic treat. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy a few!
Try These Other Amazing Bar Recipes:
- Hello Dolly Bars
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Graham Bars
- Nutella Fudge Bars
Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Bars
Crust and Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut in 8 pieces
- 3 large eggs
- Heat oven to 325 degrees and line a 9X9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil so that it overhangs the edges. This will make it easy to remove the bars. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- To make the crust, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and stir to combine.
- Press half of mixture firmly into the pan. Bake for approximately 8 minutes, or until light brown. Cool.
- To make the filling, whisk together flour, sugar, coffee granules, and salt in a bowl.
- Place chocolate chips and butter cubes in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Whisk eggs into chocolate mixture. Stir in flour mixture.
- Pour chocolate filling over cooled crust and top evenly with remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Originally published Sept 3, 2014