Hello Dolly Bars are a wonderful blend of graham cracker crumbs, butter, chocolate and butterscotch chips, coconut, nuts, and sweetened condensed milk.
It’s the sweetened condensed milk that makes me swoon over these bars. It’s pretty much the nectar of the gods. There was a half a can leftover from this recipe and I was tempted to drink it y’all.
Hello Dolly Bars date back to the 1960s when Hello Dolly was on Broadway. This is a bar with a multitude of names and they’re also referred to as 7-Layer Bars and Magic Bars. No matter what you call them, they are undeniably delicious.
They’re dense, gooey, sweet, and super indulgent. They are breeze to make, but they do need to be made a day ahead to allow them to set up before you cut them. You’ll have to practice a lot of self-restraint to not dig in right away.
This is a recipe I’ve adapted from More From Magnolia and it’s a little different from most Hello Dolly Bars. Instead of having a separate graham cracker layer on the bottom, the graham crackers crumbs are mixed in with the other ingredients. I think I like this method better.
When you initially take them out of the oven, they’ll look like a gooey, oily, liquidy mess. But they start to set up almost immediately.
Hello Dolly Bars
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- One and a half 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except sweetened condensed milk.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and pat down evenly.
- Slowly pour sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely and then cover in plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature overnight before cutting.
Disclosure: Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate.