When I was leafing through one of my favorite cookbooks recently, Miss Mary Bobo’s Boarding House Cookbook: A Celebration of Traditional Southern Dishes that Made Miss Mary Bobo’s an American Legend, a recipe for Pot Roast caught my eye. It had a can of cranberry sauce in it. I had never heard of using cranberry sauce for pot roast, but after researching pot roasts with cranberry sauce on the internet, I see it’s a fairly common thing.
And I do love Cranberry Meatballs, so I thought why not Cranberry Pot Roast?
Well, it turns out the pot roast doesn’t really taste like cranberries at all. But the sauce really develops a wonderful, almost indescribable flavor with just a slight sweetness and it has a fabulous deep reddish-brown color.
There’s really nothing like a pot roast cooked in the crock pot. A cheap piece of meat turns into the most succulent, tender, juicy, and flavorful meal. I like to serve this pot roast over either egg noodles or mashed potatoes with a side of peas. Actually, I like to mix the peas in with the pot roast, but my family objects to that. Pea haters. I don’t understand them.
If you have an Instant Pot, try this delicious Pot Roast Recipe!
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Crock Pot Pot Roast
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) pot roast
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 envelopes dry onion soup mix
- hot cooked noodles
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Heat bacon drippings or oil in a large pan. Add pot roast and sear on all sides. Place in crock pot.
- Combine cranberry sauce, tomato sauce, water, and onion soup mix. Pour over pot roast.
- Place lid on crock pot and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- Place hot cooked noodles on a serving platter. Remove meat from crock pot and place on top of noodles.
- Dissolve cornstarch in about 1 tablespoon water. Add to liquid in crock pot. Place lid back on and turn to HIGH for 10-15 minutes. Pour gravy over meat and serve.
More Crock Pot Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.