If you’re looking for an easy, filling and comforting meal the whole family will enjoy, look no further than this Crock Pot Beef Tips and Gravy. A longtime southern favorite, this meal is full of tender, fall apart chunks of beef, coated in a thick gravy, and served over rice.
I like to throw some peas on the side or a small side salad to round out the meal. Crock Pot Beef Tips and Gravy is also delicious served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
This recipe is totally simple. There’s no need to precook anything and about 5 minutes of prep time is all you need. I like a super thick gravy so I do spend a few minutes at the end thickening the gravy. I follow Brandy’s (The Country Cook) method of thickening gravy for Crock Pot Beef Tips. She makes a roux using 2 tablespoons of butter and 3 heaping tablespoons of flour. Then 2 cups of the liquid from the crock pot is added. It makes a super thick and tasty gravy. You can always add extra cooking liquid if you want a thinner gravy.
We don’t eat a ton of red meat, but this is one of my favorite beef recipes. It makes a hearty meal and doesn’t break the bank. I usually make it when chuck roast goes on sale. You can use other types of meat too- anything labeled beef tips or stew meat and round steak works as well.
Crock Pot Beef Tips and Gravy only takes a few minutes to prep and has a thick and flavorful gravy. Great served over rice or mashed potatoes.
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 package dry beefy onion soup mix
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can beef consomme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 heaping tablespoons flour
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups of the beef cooking liquid
- rice or noodles for serving
- Cut beef into 1 1/2 to 2-inch chunks, cutting off excess fat.
- Add soup mix, mushroom soup, beef consume, thyme, and pepper to crock pot and mix together.
- Add beef chunks and stir to coat. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Melt butter in a medium pot and add flour. Whisk until all of the flour is mixed into the butter. Gradually whisk in the 2 cups of cooking liquid from the crock pot. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat. If you want a thinner gravy, add more liquid.
- To serve, remove beef from crock pot with a slotted spoon and serve with gravy.
You can use other types of meat as well: round steak, stew meat or beef tips.
If you are using a fatty cut of meat like chuck roast, cut off as much of the fat as you can.
Recipe Source: adapted from The Country Cook
More Crock Pot Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.