Crock Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy is a perfectly filling and hearty meal consisting of tender chuck roast cooked in a thick, rich gravy full of mushrooms, onions, garlic and baby carrots.
I like to serve this roast over mashed potatoes with a side of green beans. It also goes well with rice or buttered noodles.
A packet of dry onion soup mix adds extra flavor to the gravy and a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup thickens it up and makes it creamy. A combination of fresh mushrooms and the mushroom soup gives the gravy lots of mushroom flavor.
How To Make Crock Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy:
- Season the chuck roast and brown it in a little oil in a skillet. Add it to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Briefly cook the onion and mushrooms and then the garlic in the beef drippings. Add them to the slow cooker.
- Mix together the condensed soup, onion soup mix, water, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and pepper in a bowl and pour over the chuck roast.
- Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- If the gravy is not thick enough, mix together some cornstarch with cold water and add it to the crock pot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes. Note: or you can transfer the gravy to a pot and do this step much faster on the stove.
To add some heat to this beef roast, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Do NOT add any water to the condensed soup. The only water you should be adding is the 1/2 cup of water listed in the ingredient section.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Try These Other Pot Roast Recipes:
Crock Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- 3 to 4 pound chuck roast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning (or any steak seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup baby carrots.
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional
- Season chuck roast with the steak seasoning. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. When hot, add chuck roast. Brown on all sides. Place in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker along with the carrots.
- In a bowl, mix together condensed mushroon soup, onion soup mix, water, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and pepper. Pour over roast.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- If you want to thicken the gravy up, mix the cornstarch with an equal amount of cold water. Pour into slow cooker and mix in. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes.If you want to do this step faster, you can pour the gravy into a saucepan, add the cornstrach mixture and bring it to a boil. It will only take a few minutes, but the downside is you will have a saucepan to clean.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.