Crock Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy is a perfectly filling and hearty meal consisting of tender chuck roast cooked in a thick, rich gravy full of mushrooms, onions, garlic and baby carrots.
A packet of dry onion soup mix adds extra flavor to the gravy and a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup thickens it up and makes it creamy. A combination of fresh mushrooms and the mushroom soup gives the gravy lots of mushroom flavor.
How To Serve
I like to serve this roast over mashed potatoes with a side of green beans. It also goes well with rice or buttered noodles. Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes and Southern-Style Green Beans are perfect with this roast.
How To Make Crock Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- Season the chuck roast and brown it in a little oil in a skillet. Add it to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Briefly cook the onion and mushrooms and then the garlic in the beef drippings. Add them to the slow cooker.
- Mix together the condensed soup, onion soup mix, water, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and pepper in a bowl and pour over the chuck roast.
- Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- If the gravy is not thick enough, mix together some cornstarch with cold water and add it to the crock pot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes. Note: or you can transfer the gravy to a pot and do this step much faster on the stove.
To add some heat to this beef roast, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Do NOT add any water to the condensed soup. The only water you should be adding is the 1/2 cup of water listed in the ingredient section.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Try These Other Pot Roast Recipes:
Crock Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- 3 to 4 pound chuck roast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning (or any steak seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup baby carrots.
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional
- Season chuck roast with the steak seasoning. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. When hot, add chuck roast. Brown on all sides. Place in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker along with the carrots.
- In a bowl, mix together condensed mushroon soup, onion soup mix, water, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and pepper. Pour over roast.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- If you want to thicken the gravy up, mix the cornstarch with an equal amount of cold water. Pour into slow cooker and mix in. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes.If you want to do this step faster, you can pour the gravy into a saucepan, add the cornstrach mixture and bring it to a boil. It will only take a few minutes, but the downside is you will have a saucepan to clean.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
21 thoughts on “Crock Pot Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy”
Wow! So flavorful and good! This recipe knocked it out of the park. My husband loved it 🙂
sooo good and will be making this again very soon
It was good! Tastey and easily prepared. Kids loved it to. We served top a couple spoonfuls of buttery mashed potatoes and a slice of wheat bread.
This recipe is awesome. Such great flavor. Served it with noodles. My husband definitely went back for seconds. This one is a keeper! Left out the water and used mushroom broth instead.
This is really good! Left out the garlic and subbed water for cooking sherry. Thanks for a great recipe !
I knew with the mushroom flavor I was was going to love this… and I did! My wife who is not a mushroom fan enjoyed it as well. We just saw your bacon wrapped tater tots and will try this weekend, I’m going to try a few with habanero since i have some many….
How did so many miss at what step the carrots were added. I have just started this roast and look forward to the smells when I wake up. Have to get some potatoes going at that time. My wife shall be surprised when she gets home from work tonight. Thanks for the recipe I was tired of the same ol, same ol.
Carrots go in step #3. .. after sautéing the onion mushrooms and garlic.
Okay, when do I put the carrots in? Thank you!
Why don’t you have a Pinterest option? Sure would save paper………..
Good morning, Sarah! I see the Pinterest on the left, if you don’t, maybe you could add the Pinterest extension to your browser. That has been a lifesaver for me on sites that do not offer a PInterest button.
Can l. Cook it in oven. How long
Can I cook in oven. And how long
Can I cook it in oven. And how long
How many carbs and fat grams?
Ditto on the carrots. When do they go in? Pretty sure I know but not my recipe. Sure does look & sound tasty. Going for the roast & shrooms tomorrow. Sunday easy supper.
I know that this maybe an odd question but in using a Slow Cooker do I clip shut the top during the cooking process? Looks like an excellent recipe
If you read the instructions for your slow cooker it will probably say not to clip shut the top.
Mine does. Hope that helps.
When are the baby carrots added
My question, too!
Step 3: Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker along with the carrots.