BBQ Pot Roast is an easy and delicious family meal that only requires a few ingredients. A chuck roast is cooked in BBQ sauce with some onions and garlic and the result is the most flavorful pot roast you have ever tasted!
I don’t think there’s any better food for cold weather than pot roast. The BBQ Sauce defintely gives the pot roast a different feel and you could easily shred it and serve it in tacos as a spring or summer meal.
I cooked this recipe in my oven but you could make it in your slow cooker instead. If you do you will need to cook it for about 7 to 8 hours on LOW or 5 to 6 on HIGH.
I like to use a thick and a little bit sweet BBQ Sauce, like a Kansas City-style sauce. I think it works best for this BBQ Pot Roast recipe.
The meat gets seared in a Dutch oven and then onion and garlic get added along with an entire bottle of BBQ Sauce. When I say BBQ Pot Roast, I mean BBQ Pot Roast! This meat has tons of bbq flavor.
Then it slow cooks in the oven for about 3 hours at which point it is perfectly tender, easily shreddable, and so full of flavor!
BBQ Pot Roast is delicious served with rice or potatoes for a filling family meal. It’s pure comfort food!
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) bottle BBQ sauce, I used Sweet Baby Ray's
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over chuck roast.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch Oven. I like to use my Le Creuset.Add chuck roast and cook about 2 minutes a side to sear.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Pour bbq sauce on top of chuck roast, lifting it to let some go underneath.
- Cover and place in oven and cook for 2 hours. Remove from oven, turn roast overn and return to oven for 1 hour. I like to cook it uncovered for the last 30 minutes to thicken the sauce.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from The Gunny Sack