Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Beef- this recipe is a different way to turn a chuck roast into a super flavorful meal. With a short ingredient list, it is super easy to make. Such a great combination of flavors.
Pickling spice gives the beef a wonderful flavor and ketchup and a little apple cider vinegar forms the base for a tasty sauce. This beef makes an awesome BBQ Beef Sandwich!
How To Make
The beef gets cut in cubes, seasoned with salt and pepper and browned in some oil. The beef then braises in water for 1 hour in a 300 degree F oven. Next, all the flavors get added for another hour of cooking- ketchup, apple cider vinegar, dry mustard, and pickling spice. You’ll need to tie the pickling spice up in some cheesecloth so that it can be fished out and discarded at the end of the cooking time.
What is pickling spice?
Pickling spice is made up of mustard seeds, whole allspice, coriander seeds, cloves, bay leaves and a few other spices. It gives the beef some of the flavor that corned beef has, but it is combined with a tangy tomato sauce which I love.
Once the beef is cooked, it is easily shredded. How much you shred it is up to you. The more you shred it, the more the sauce coats it, but it’s kind of nice to have some bigger chunks for texture.
You can serve this Barbecue Beef over rice or mashed potatoes or make sandwiches with it.
What Sides To Serve With Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Beef?
- Buttermilk Coleslaw
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Easy Macaroni Salad
- Jalapeno Popper Potato Salad
- Candied Green Beans
- Chipotle Corn Salad
Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Beef
- 3 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pickling spice, tied in cheesecloth
- Place oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat to 300 degrees.
- Pat the beef cubes dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.Add half of beef and cook until browned on all sides.Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Add water to Dutch oven and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom. Return all beef to the Dutch oven.Bring to a simmer, place lid on top and transfer to the oven for 1 hour.
- Open the Dutch oven. Stir in the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, and dry mustard.Add the spice sack. Place lid back on and return to oven for 1 hour.
- Discard spice sack. Remove beef to a large plate. Shred the beef and return to the pot. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Best Lost Suppers.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
2 thoughts on “Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Beef”
Is there a sub for the pickling spice?
You don’t get to see this kind of recipe every day. This is something that I must try later this week. I’ll pair it with my favorite Friendsgiving wine.