Creamy Pesto Chicken Tortellini is a one pot meal with a creamy pesto Parmesan sauce, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and lots of garlic flavor. This easy comfort Italian meal can be made start to finish in under 30 minutes.
It’s filling on its own, but also goes great with a green salad with Creamy Italian Dressing and some garlic bread.
Creamy Pesto Chicken Tortellini is easy to make with refrigerated tortellini pasta. The sauce is rich and creamy and has tons of basil and garlic flavor. Both the chicken and the pasta get cooked in the same pan for easy clean-up.
Is This Dish Spicy?
The amount of red pepper flakes added gives a little zip. For a spicier dish, add another 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Creamy Pesto Chicken Tortellini Recipe Tips
- The tortellini doesn’t need long to cook. Be sure not to overcook it and keep in mind it will be sitting in a hot sauce so it will continue to cook some after you remove it from the heat.
- Give the pasta a stir once during the cooking time to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Once you add the half-and-half and bring the mixture to a simmer, turn the heat down to maintain a gentle simmer. You don’t want it to boil or you risk curdling the half-and-half.
More Easy Pasta Recipes To Try
- Creamy Taco Spaghetti
- Cheesy Garlic Shrimp Alfredo
- Broccoli Alfredo Tortellini
- One Pot Meaty Tortellini
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Pasta
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (7-ounce) container basil pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup slivered sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes to brown it.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the half-and-half, pesto and crushed red pepper flakes and stir to mix well. When it comes to a simmer, add the tortellini. Make sure the tortellini is as submerged as possible.Turn heat down to maintain a gentle simmer. You don't want it to boil or the half-and-half may curdle.
- Place a lid on the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tortellini are cooked through.Note: If you don't have a lid for your skillet, you can use a round baking sheet or aluminum foil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.Check for seasoning and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.