Chocolate Banana Pudding- traditional banana pudding gets even better with chocolate pudding. A homemade chocolate pudding, fresh whipped cream, banana slices, and vanilla wafers combine to make a cool and creamy southern dessert that is perfect for summer.
I’ve made lots of twists on banana pudding. Scroll down to see more recipes. I can never resist chocolate and it makes a great flavor addition to banana pudding.
This is a from-scratch recipe, but it is easy to make.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BANANA PUDDING:
- First step is to make a chocolate pudding. Have all your ingredients measured and ready to go before you begin making it. Be sure to temper the eggs slowly or you will scramble them. Let the pudding cool to room temperature.
- Layer the pudding, vanilla wafers, and banana slices in a trifle dish or glass bowl.
- Make some fresh whipped cream and spread on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours so the cookies get soft. Serve cold.
Don’t use bananas that are too ripe. They should be yellow with few, if any, black spots. If you use overripe bananas, the banana flavor will be too strong and they will start to turn brown faster.
Since the banana slices will be completely covered, they shouldn’t turn brown. But they will start to after a few days.
Will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Tip for making whipped cream: The cream will whip much more easily if you refrigerate the bowl and beaters for at least 30 minutes beforehand. You want the cream really cold as well.
More Banana Pudding Recipes:
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Homemade Banana Pudding
- Banana Pudding with Meringue
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake
- Twinkie Banana Pudding
- Bananas Foster Banana Pudding
Chocolate Banana Pudding
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces Vanilla wafer cookies
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch. Add a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Place milk in a medium saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Add chocolate and stir until melted.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the egg mixture. (Doing it slowly will temper the eggs and prevent them from scrambling.) Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer to a clean bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap over the surface. Let cool to room temperature.
- Spoon 1/3 of the cooled chocolate pudding into the bottom of a trifle dish or medium glass bowl.Layer 1/3 of the cookies and banana slices. Repeat layer 2 times.
- Using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream at medium speed until starting to thicken. Turn to high and gradually add the sugar. Continue to beat until thick. Spread on top of the banana pudding. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.