Banana Pudding with Meringue is an old-fashioned southern favorite. Layers of vanilla wafers, banana slices and homemade vanilla pudding are topped with a fluffy, light meringue. It’s fantastically sweet and creamy.
The meringue has a wonderful airiness and a little bit of a toasted flavor.
Many southerners will tell you a true banana pudding has a meringue on top. Banana puddings topped with whipped cream have gotten more and more poular, but it’s hard to beat an old-fashioned Banana Pudding topped with meringue. Since the banana pudding needs to be placed in the oven for the meringue to cook and brown, you have the opportunity to eat it warm. Now, I love a nice chilled bowl of banana pudding, but a warm bowl of anything is so comforting.
Tips for Making Banana Pudding with Meringue:
The homemade pudding is a simple mixture of sugar, flour, egg yolks, milk, and vanilla extract. It’s not at all hard to make, but it does require your attention. You don’t want to heat it too fast at first or the eggs will curdle. Also, make sure you use a saucepan with a thick bottom.
Be sure to stir and stir and stir some more. It will take about 10-15 minutes to get the pudding thick. You can take a few quick breaks during this time to grab something, but you pretty much want to stir constantly.
The only other step with a potential pitfall is making the meringue. It’s best if the egg whites are at room temperature. You can either let them sit on the counter for 30 to 60 minutes or place the eggs in warm water for a few minutes before separating them.
Beat the egg whites on low speed until they turn opaque, then you can beat them on high speed. Don’t start adding the sugar until the meringue thickens up some. To avoid a runny meringue, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. They should be glossy and rigid when you lift the beaters. Once you get stiff peaks, stop beating. It will start to break down if you overbeat.
More Banana Pudding Recipes:
- Banana Pudding Pancakes
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake
- Bananas Foster Banana Pudding
- Banana Pudding Ice Cream
- Banana Pudding with Whipped Cream
Banana Pudding with Meringue
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- dash of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 60 Vanilla wafers
- 3 bananas, thinly sliced
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together sugar, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom.
- Add the egg yolks and 1 cup of milk. Whisk until smooth and then whisk in the remaining 2 cups of milk.
- Place over medium heat and cook until it simmers and is thickened. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes. You want to stir it almost constantly during this time. It's ok to take a few quick 5 to 10 second breaks, but you don't want to go much longer than that.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
- Place a layer of Vanilla wafers in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. You want to use half of the vanilla wafers.
- Arrange half of the banana slices over the Vanilla wafers.
- Pour half of the pudding mixture over the bananas.
- Repeat layers.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar and keep beating on high speed until stiff peak form. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Spread the meringue on top of banana pudding, being sure to completely cover the pudding layer. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown.Serve warm or chilled.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
2 thoughts on “Banana Pudding with Meringue”
It’s a good diet recipe. I like to make such a dessert on weekends. Useful for the Flat Belly Fix program https://warevise.com/cb-the-flat-belly-fix-review
Bananas with dark spots have been eight times more practical
in enhancing the ability of white blood cells than green-pores and skin bananas, in accordance with a 2009 study printed in Food Science and
Technology Research. In response to the NIH, consuming greater
than 500 milligrams of vitamin B6 every day can possibly lead to nerve harm in the arms and legs.
Plus, vitamin B6 can allow you to sleep properly,
and magnesium helps to chill out muscles. Plus, the fiber content helps slow the
absorption of sugar in the bloodstream, stopping the blood
sugar spikes (and subsequent crashes!) felt from extra
concentrated sugar sources, like juice or soda. A 2005 Swedish research discovered that
girls who ate more than 75 servings of fruits and vegetables cut their risk of
kidney most cancers by forty percent, and that bananas had been particularly effective.
While not precisely a health benefit, a study revealed by The Royal Society found
that the potassium in bananas is correlated with ladies giving start to baby boys.
While both lowered levels of dangerous low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, the aocado weight loss plan raised
levels healthy high-density lipoprotein, (HDL)cholesterol,
while slightly decreasing triglycerides. Within the examine, mice with
decrease-potassium eating regimen had tougher arteries
than mice consuming a traditional quantity of potassium.