Chipped Beef Cheese Ball is a salty, savory cheese ball covered in toasted pecans and sliced green onions. This retro cocktail party appetizer is always a favorite.
Only 7 ingredients and a few minutes of time are needed to make this easy holiday appetizer. Cream cheese, chopped dried beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and shredded cheddar cheese combine to form a wonderfully flavorful cheese ball.
What is Dried Beef?
Dried beef can be found in jars in the canned meat section of the grocery store. Armour is the brand that I use. Dried beef, also called chipped beef, is pressed, salted, dried beef that is cut in thin slices. It is very, very salty, so I like to soak in in warm water for a few minutes to remove some of the salt.
My favorite recipe to make with dried beef is Creamy Chipped Beef and Toast. Such a great breakfast!
Tips For Making Chipped Beef Cheese Ball
- Give the cream cheese plenty of time to soften. It will be so much easier to mix the ingredients together.
- Chop the beef up really small and it will be much easier to spread on crackers and eat.
- Leftovers can be used to stuff mushrooms.
- Can be refrigerated for 3 to 5 days.
- Can be made a few days in advance. Wait until just before serving to coat it with the nuts and onions.
- The uncoated cheese ball can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen. Thaw in refrigerator.
More Cheese Ball Recipes
- Jalapeno Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
- Pineapple and Ham Cheese Ball
- Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
- Bacon Cheese Ball Bites
- 1 (4.5-ounce) jar dried beef
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Place dried beef in a bowl of warm water for 3 minutes. Drain and blot dry with paper towels. Chop into little pieces.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, garlic powder, and Worcesteshire sauce until smooth and blended.
- Add dried beef and cheddar cheese and mix in.
- Stir in half the green onions.
- Shape mixture into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll cheese ball in green onions and toasted pecans and serve with crackers.