Chicken with Creole Mustard Cream Sauce- boneless chicken breasts are cooked in a skillet and covered in a creole mustard sauce that has a lot of zip. This delicious southern dinner can be made in just 30 minutes.
The sauce is a mixture of chicken broth, heavy cream, creole mustard, honey, and thyme. Just a touch of honey adds a hint of sweetness to complement the spice of the mustard and cayenne pepper. There’s ample sauce for 3 to 4 chicken breasts.
What to Serve With Chicken with Creole Mustard Cream Sauce:
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Buttered Rice
- Sauteed Spinach
- Roasted Asparagus
- Super Crispy Roasted Potatoes
For best flavor, use Creole mustard. I use Zatarains. Creole mustard has a grainy texture and is made from brown mustard seeds steeped in vinegar. It often contains horseradish for a little extra zip.
There’s a full 2 tablespoons of Creole mustard in the sauce for maximum flavor. You can reduce the mustard amount a little if you want less mustard taste.
You can increase the amount of honey if you want more of a honey mustard taste.
Skinless, boneless chicken thighs can be used instead of boneless chicken breasts if you wish.
This chicken dinner is a meal you will want to make over and over again. It is so easy and packed with flavor.
Try These Other Flavor-Packed Chicken Dinners:
- Instant Pot Champagne Chicken– an elegant meal with a creamy mushroom sauce.
- Bacon, Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken– the name says it all. Delicious!
- Grilled Huli Huli Chicken– a little taste of Hawaii.
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs with Mustard Cream Sauce– another chicken recipe with tons of mustard flavor!
- Southern Sticky Chicken
- 3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes per side.Add 1/2 cup of broth, cover and cook another 5 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to soften.
- Add remaining chicken broth and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in creole mustard, honey, heavy cream, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cook for a minute or two to warm the chicken.
- Sprinkle thyme over chicken. Check sauce for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.