Southern Sticky Chicken is a simple old-fashioned baked chicken recipe that is sweet, spicy, tangy, and so, so good.
To really build the flavor, the chicken is first marinated, then seared in a cast iron skillet, and then roasted until cooked through. The chicken gets basted multiple times while it is in the oven so it really develops a nice, sticky coating.
The sticky sauce functions as both a marinade and a sauce. It’s a simple mixture of honey, ketchup, soy sauce, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and garlic. The sauce gets wonderfully caramelized due to the sugars in the ketchup and honey and the hot sauce really balances the sweetness.
WHAT TYPE OF CHICKEN TO USE?
I prefer dark meat over white meat. It stays juicier because of the higher fat content and will not dry out. You want bone-in, skin-on pieces. If you do use white meat, cut the breasts in half if they are large and reduce the cooking time some. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. It’s a really good idea to have an instant read thermometer so you can make sure you don’t overcook your chicken.
Southern Sticky Chicken RECIPE TIPS:
If you want your chicken extra spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the marinade.
If you are pressed for time, you can marinate the chicken for as little as 2 hours.
This chicken is best cooked in a cast iron skillet. You can use another type of oven-proof skillet instead. If you don’t have an oven-proof skillet, transfer the chicken and all the juices to a baking dish before transfering to the oven.
Great Sides For This Recipe:
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- Marinated Tomato, Cucumber, and Onion Salad
- Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Green Salad with Creamy Italian Dressing
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 bone-in, skin on chicken legs or chicken thighs, or a combination
- Vegetable oil
- In a large ziptop bag, combine the honey, ketchup, soy sauce, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and garlic.
- Add chicken to bag.Refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Pour enough oil into a large cast iron skillet to coat the bottom.Heat pan over medium heat. (Note: You don't want it too hot or the sugars in the marinade will cause the skin of the chicken to burn.)
- When hot, remove chicken from marinade and add to pan. Cook until browned on all sides.Pour marinade over chicken and place uncovered in the oven for 60 minutes, basting every 15 minutes. (Chicken should be skin side up.)
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.