Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs with Mustard Cream Sauce is one of the most delicious ways to cook chicken thighs. The chicken thighs stay moist and juicy and pick up lots of smoky, salty bacon flavor. The creamy mustard sauce turns it into pure comfort food.
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are wrapped in bacon that has been basket-weaved so that the bacon completly encapsulates the chicken. It is seared on both sides in a cast iron skillet along with red onion. Once the bacon has rendered and crisped some on each side, add garlic to the pan and brush the chicken thighs with a mixture of maple syrup and whole grain mustard. Place the pan in a 350 degree oven to finish cooking the chicken.
Easy Pan Sauce
Next, remove the chicken, onion, and garlic, leaving the pan drippings in the pan. Add a little flour to the pan, a cup of heavy whipping cream, and some fresh thyme to make a quick and easy pan sauce.
Return the chicken to the pan and let that cream sauce flavor completely coat the chicken.
Spice It Up
If you want to make this dish spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce.
A 12-inch cast iron skillet is the best pan for cooking this chicken since the chicken cooks both on the stove and in the oven.
How To Serve
I love to serve Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs with a side of roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes for a delicious, comfort food meal.
Here is another great chicken thighs recipe to try!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Broccoli Poppy Seed Casserole
- Chicken in Jack Daniels Cream Sauce
- Buttermilk Hot Sauce Brined Chicken
- Baked Parmesan Chicken
- Baked Chicken and Rice with Bacon
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 12 bacon slices, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lay 2 slices of bacon horizontally so they are touching each other. Fold back top slice and lay another piece vertically across bottom slice.
- Fold back bottom slice in opposite direction as top slice and place another slice vertically so that you have a basket weave pattern.
- Place a chicken thigh in the middle of the basket weave. Fold ends of bacon over to completely wrap chicken. It helps to secure with a few toothpicks.
- Repeat with remaining bacon and chicken.
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken in pan so that the side with the ends of the bacon is facing up. Add the onion pieces in between the chicken.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until bacon is browned and then flip over. Cook another 5 minutes. Then add garlic. Whisk maple syrup and mustard together in a small bowl and spoon over chicken.
- Place pan in the oven for 20 minutes, or until chicken registers 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken, onion, and garlic from skillet and set aside.
- Place skillet over medium heat and add flour. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Gradually whisk in cream. Add thyme.
- Return chicken, onion, and garlic to skillet. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Southern Cast Iron
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.