It seems that everybody has a chicken salad recipe that they love. Most people seem to be a little partial to the traditional southern chicken salad. You know the one, with tons of mayo and maybe a little celery, onion, and relish. I like that one too. In fact, I’m not likely to object to anything with gobs of mayonnaise.
But my favorite way to make chicken salad is with fruits and nuts, and a little curry. This recipe, which I’ve slightly adapted from Sara Foster’s Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster’s Market Cookbook, is right up my alley. You have the sweetness of the grapes, tartness of the apples, and a nice kick from some spicy pecans. A little chutney mixed in heightens the flavors even more.
For a delicious lunch, wrap some of it up with a handful of baby spinach in a whole wheat tortilla or flat bread. The Chicken Salad Wrap recipe below is for 4 wraps, but you’ll have enough leftover chicken salad for a round 2 the next day.
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Major Grey's Chutney
- 4 cooked chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup spicy pecans, recipe follows
- 4 whole grain flat breads or whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, stir mayo, mustard, and chutney together. Add chicken, celery, red onion, apple, grapes, parsley, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Chill until ready to use.
- For the pecans, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and then spread on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Stir once or twice during this time for even browning. Careful not to burn nuts.
- Divide spinach between the 4 pieces of flat bread. Stir pecans into chicken salad and put desired amount of chicken salad on each flat bread. Roll flat bread and cut in half.
Recipe Source: adapted from Fresh Every Day
Disclosure: Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate