Cheesy Creole Breakfast Skillet is full of andouille sausage, shrimp, potatoes, peppers, eggs, and cheese. It’s an all-in-one breakfast with plenty of Creole seasoning.
For even more flavor, there’s an optional Creole sauce.
This recipe makes 4 good-size servings. You will need a cast iron skillet because the pan gets placed under the broiler at the end to melt the cheese.
How To Make Cheesy Creole Breakfast Skillet
If you’ll be using the optional Creole sauce, get it mixed together first and stick it in the refrigerator. I really recommend it. Just a small spoonful really adds a creamy texture to this breakfast skillet.
Next, get the potato started because it takes the longest to cook. Dice it very small so that it cooks as quickly as possible. Cook it until it starts to get soft and then add the onions, peppers, and sausage. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned.
Add the shrimp and seasonings and cook until the shrimp are mostly pink.
Whisk together the eggs and milk and pour into the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are mostly set. Sprinkle with cheese and place under the broiler until melted.
Cheesy Creole Breakfast Skillet Recipe Tips
Make sure you use a well-seasoned cast iron pan so your eggs don’t stick. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, jus use a nonstick skillet and cover it with a lid or some aluminum foil to melt the cheese instead of placing it under the broiler.
Creole and Cajun seasoning are very similar and I use them interchangeably. Feel free to use either one. My go to Creole Seasoning is Tony Chachere’s. It is high in salt but they make a low-sodium version if you need to watch your salt intake.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
If this breakfast skillet isn’t spicy enough for you, serve it with hot sauce. Then it is sure to spice up your morning.
Try These Other Amazing Breakfast Recipes
- Cheesy Grits Casserole with Smoked Sausage
- Southern Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Hand Pies
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Sausage and Crescent Roll Casserole
Cheesy Creole Breakfast Skillet
- Large Cast Iron Skillet
Creole Sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium russett potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 3 Andouille sausage links, sliced (about 9 ounces)
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, stir together all Creole Sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add potato. Cook, stirring frequently for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add onion, peppers, and Andouille and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to brown the sausage.
- Add shrimp, Creole seasoning, garlic powder, and paprika. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl. Add to skillet and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until the eggs are almost set.
- Sprinkle with cheese and stick under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
- If desired, drizzle with Creole sauce. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.