Cheesy Grits Casserole with Smoked Sausage is wonderfully cheesy and rich and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You won’t be able to get enough of this wholesome southern casserole.
Cheesy Grits Casserole is a favorite of mine and it makes a great weeknight meal or brunch casserole for the upcoming holidays. Typically grits casserole is a little on the heavy side, but I’ve lightened it up by using Butterball Turkey Dinner Sausage, just a touch of butter, and less cheese than usual (use low fat cheese if you wish).
The casserole can be assembled a day ahead of time to make for an easy dinner or brunch the next day. Just let it sit out at room temperature while the oven heats and add a few minutes to the cooking time. In no time at all, you’ll have a wholesome, rich, and creamy meal on the table. If serving for dinner, I like to add a small side salad.
How To Make Cheesy Grits Casserole With Smoked Sausage:
- Cook the sliced sausage in a skillet for a few minutes. Add the red bell pepper and onion and continue to cook until they are soft and the sausage is browned.
- Cook the grits.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and garlic powder. Whisk some of the hot grit mixture in to temper the eggs. Then completely combine the two.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and half the cheddar cheese as well as the sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle the rest of the cheddar cheese on top. Bake for 45 minutes.
Try These Other Grits Recipes:
- Crock Pot Grits
- Grits Fritters
- Creamiest Grits Ever
- Pimento Cheese Grits
- Cheese and Bacon Grits Casserole
- Smothered Shrimp and Grits
Cheesy Grits Casserole With Smoked Sausage
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package smoked sausage, sliced (use turkey for a lighter casserole)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups quick-cooking grits
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 11x7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Add sliced sausage and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add red bell pepper and onion and sauté 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and chicken broth to a boil. Add salt and then slowly stir grits in. Simmer grits for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, and garlic powder. Slowly stir in about 1 cup of the hot grits to temper the eggs. Then pour milk/grits mixture into saucepan with the rest of the grits. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and ½ of the Cheddar cheese. Mix in the sausage mixture. Sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese on top.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes.
Originally published Sept 18, 2014.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.