Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Hand Pies- these savory breakfast pastries are full of crumbled breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, and shredded cheese. Makes an easy hand-held breakfast that can be eaten on the go. Sure to be a family favorite.
Nothing beats a buttery, golden pie crust. I love any food that comes in a pie crust, whether it be sweet or savory.
Using store-bought refrigerated pie crust makes these hand pies a breeze to make. Extras can be frozen for later use. With 2 refrigerated pie crusts, you should get 7 hand pies, but this recipe is easy to double. To make them, place each pie crust between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll out slightly. Then use a bowl that is about 4 inches in diameter to cut as many circles of dough as you can. Reroll the scraps to cut another circle. You will need 2 circles of dough to form each hand pie.
The filling is a simple mixture of crumbled breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, and shredded cheese. Use any cheese that you like.
Place a mound of sausage, egg, and cheese mixture on half of the dough circles and cover with the remaining circles. Use a fork to press down on the edges and seal them well. Brush the tops with egg wash. This will help them bake up golden and crispy. Cut a few slits in the top of each one to let the steam escape and bake at 4oo degrees F for about 18 minutes.
Tips for making Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Hand Pies:
- These hand pies can be prepared in advance. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to bake them.
- They also can be frozen before you bake them. Individually wrap them in plastic wrap and foil and freeze up to 3 months. When you bake them, add on an extra 5 to 10 minutes to the cooking time.
More Breakfast Favorites:
Sausage, Egg and Cheese Hand Pies
- 1/2 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) box refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg whisked together with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook sausage, crumbling it as it cooks.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and salt together. Melt butter in a nonstick pan. Add eggs and soft scramble. (You want them a little undercooked because they will cook more in the oven.)
- Unroll a pie crust and place between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Roll it out about 1-inch in each direction. Use a bowl that is 4 inches across to cut as many circles as you can. Reroll scraps to cut another circle.Repeat with second pie crust. You should get 14 circles.
- Arrange half of circles on prepared baking sheet. Place a mound of egg, sausage, and cheese on each one.
- Brush egg wash on the edges of each circle. Place the remaining circles on top. Seal the edges. Press with a fork around the edges.
- Brush the tops with egg wash. Cut a few slits with a knife in the top of each one to let steam escape.
- Bake for 18 minutes.