Cajun Shrimp and Crab Mac and Cheese is loaded with spicy seafood flavor. With 3 types of cheese and a buttery panko crumb topping, this mac and cheese is extra indulgent and perfect for a special occasion.
The shrimp are coated in Cajun seasoning and cooked in butter. You want to undercook them slightly because they will cook more in the oven. You can use either Cajun seasoning or Creole seasoning. I like to use Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
Crab is very expensive but you want to use a good quality crab meat for best flavor. My first choiced is lump crab. If you want to spend less money, use backfin or claw.
I typically like to use large elbow macaroni for mac and cheese but cavatappi and penne also work well for this recipe.
- Pasta Pot- this Pasta Pot with Straining Cover makes draining the pasta quick and easy.
- Large Skillet
- 9×13-inch Baking Dish
- Box Grater- this Cuisinart Box Grater with built in storage is super convenient.
- Shrimp Deveiner- of course you can devein shrimp with a knife, but a shrimp deveiner is super handy.
Cajun Shrimp and Crab Mac and Cheese Recipe Tips
- Add a little crumbled bacon for even more flavor.
- Shred your own cheese for best flavor instead of buying preshredded cheese.
- As is, this recipe just has a little heat. To spiced it up more, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the cheese sauce.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Philly Cheesesteak Mac and Cheese
- Fried Mac and Cheese
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Bacon and Ranch Mac and Cheese
Cajun Shrimp and Crab Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound large elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun or creole seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded Colby Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup lump crab meat
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup Panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Be sure to salt the water. Drain, return to pot, and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add shrimp. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and cook for about 2 minutes per side.Note: Shrimp will cook more in the oven so undecook them a little.Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter to skillet and place over medium heat. When melted, add flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in whole milk and then evaporated milk. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.Add Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Turn Heat to low. Set 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of Colby Jack cheese aside. Add the remaining cheese a handful at a time to the skillet, stirring until melted before adding the next handful.
- Stir in crab and shrimp.Pour Cheese mixture over pasta. Stir to mix. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the 1 cup of cheese that was set aside on top.Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. If you want it a little more golden on top, broil for a few minutes.
1 thought on “Cajun Shrimp and Crab Mac and Cheese”
Can I add more crabmeat without messing up the recipe.