Velvet Mac and Cheese has a velvety texture and plenty of cheese flavor. This stove-top homemade mac and cheese can be made in under 20 minutes.
A blend of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and shredded Mexican cheese gives this Velvet Mac and Cheese a really creamy, satiny texture with a mild cheese flavor.
How to Make Velvet Mac and Cheese:
- First take the cream cheese out of the fridge and cut it into pieces so it starts coming to room temperature while you wait for the water to boil.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- While you wait for the water to boil, get all the ingredient measured and ready to go.
- While the macaroni cooks, you can go ahead and melt the butter in a Dutch oven and make the roux. Once the butter is melted, you’ll add 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and whisk it into the butter. Let it cook for about a minute and then gradually whisk in the milk.
- Add the seasonings and the cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and Mexican cheese until melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the cooked, drained pasta.
One bite of this mac and cheese and you’ll be hooked. The cream cheese makes it so incredibly rich.
Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food- try these other Mac and Cheese Recipes:
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- Bourbon and Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Crab Mac and Cheese
- Stovetop Sausage Mac and Cheese
- Fried Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces and softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and Mexican cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in elbow pasta and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.