Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket are both sweet and savory and make an easy breakfast the whole family will enjoy. Only 4 ingredients needed!
Fully cooked sausage links are wrapped in puff pastry that has been drizzled with a little pancake syrup. They are baked for 15 minutes and get wonderfully golden and crispy.
Pigs in a Blanket are a favorite appetizer of mine. Why not enjoy them for breakfast too? This recipe uses breakfast sausage instead of hot dogs or cocktail wieners to make an unbelievably delicious breakfast and brunch dish.
Tips for making Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket:
- You could use crescent roll dough for this recipe, but you really can’t beat the buttery light crunch of puff pastry.
- You want to use fully cooked sausage for this recipe. You can find it in the refrigerated section with the bacon. Or you can buy it frozen, but you will need to thaw it. As an alternative, you can use uncooked sausage links and cook them. Let them cool before proceeding with the recipe.
- Make sure your puff pastry is thawed sufficiently or it will crack when you roll it out.
- Use a pizza cutter to quickly and easily cut the puff pastry into squares.
- To make them spicy, sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on each puff pastry piece before placing the sausages on them.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Sausage and Gravy Stuffed Biscuits
- Sausage and Crescent Roll Casserole
- Crock Pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Roll Pigs in a Blanket
Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons pancake syrup
- 1 (9.6-ounce) package fully cooked breakfast sausage links
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.Whisk together egg and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll the thawed pastry sheet out on a lightly floured surface. You want it to roughly be 14x10-1/2 inches. Cut it into 12 squares. Don't worry too much about the shape or size of the puff pastry pieces as long as they are big enough to wrap around the sausage.
- Drizzle a little pancake syrup on each square and place a sausage so that it sits diagonally on each square.
- Brush two opposite corners of puff pastry with egg wash on each square. Pull the corners up over the sausage and pinch them together to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops with egg wash and bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1 thought on “Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket”
You can also use Polish Kielbasa which I like also.