Weekends are all about breakfast foods for me. These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, but not too sweet and have plenty of chocolate chips. They are perfect for using up overripe bananas and your family will gladly eat them for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.
Nothing fancy here, just simple, homemade flavor.
Grab and Go Breakfast
I like to make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins in the evening and have them ready to go as a quick grab and go breakfast for my kids before school. Getting teenagers to eat in the morning is not an easy task.
They truly are delicious muffins and I think I like them every bit as much as Dark Chocolate Zucchini Muffins which are up there with my favorite muffins of all time.
I kept these muffins really simple and plain so that they are super easy to make, but you could add a streusel topping if you like.
Be sure to use really ripe bananas. The bananas add alot of the moistness and sweetness to the muffins.
Only fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Any fuller and they will rise and overflow the cups some.
Note: You can mix the batter in a bowl by hand. If you do this, mash the bananas really well with a fork before you mix the wet ingredients together. Or you can use an electric mixer. Then you can just let the mixer mash the bananas.
These muffins can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days. To prevent them from getting soggy, store them in an airtight container with a layer of paper towels on the bottom and on the top. The paper towels will absorb any moisture that the muffins release.
To freeze, individually wrap the muffins in plastic wrap and store for up to 2 months.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Facebook.
More Muffin Recipes
- Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Old-Fashioned Doughnut Muffins
- Carrot Zucchini Muffins
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 2 large
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, both sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix mashed bananas, egg, melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry just until there are no large streaks of flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full and bake until muffin tops are firm when pressed gently, about 30 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published February 20, 2015.
Recipe Source: adapted from Epicurious
More Muffin Recipes
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Blueberry Macadamia Nut Muffins
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
31 thoughts on “Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins”
I’ve used this recipe a few times already, and I’ve decided to make them again for my boyfriends birthday since they are his favorite! Thank you so much for the recipe, these muffins are the best!
I substituted 1/2 cup of Vanilla Powder for 1/2 cup of flour and they turned out great!! I also used mini muffins instead of full sized. It made about 48 mini muffins and only took about 20 min.
Love that you added protein powder. Thanks for the suggestion!
Used 4 small bananas and added flaked coconut. Delicious.
Great recipe, thanks for sharing!