Healthy Avocado Sonoma Chicken Salad is creamy and crunchy and loaded with good nutrition. Celery, red onion, and toasted pecans provide the crunch, a mashed ripe avocado and a little mayo give it plenty of creaminess, and halved red grapes add little bursts of sweetness.
Typically I love a chicken salad that’s loaded in mayo.
But more and more I’ve been using a mashed avocado, one of my favorite foods, to provide most of the creaminess for chicken salad. Avocados are so full of healthy fats and they have a creaminess to them that just can’t be beat.
I added just a little mayo to this recipe. Old habits die hard. 🙂
You could use yogurt instead.
I usually eat this Avocado Sonoma Chicken Salad on a bed of lettuce, but it makes a great sandwich too.
I like to use chicken breasts that I have cooked on my grill pan, but you can use any cooked chicken: poached, baked, or even Rotisserie chicken from the store.
This chicken salad is best eaten within 24 hours. The avocados will turn brown overtime. Be sure to place plastic wrap directly on top of the salad to keep it fresh-looking for as long as possible.
More Chicken Salad Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Salad– lots of jalapenos, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
- Golden Chicken Salad– super creamy with golden raisins and toasted walnuts.
- Greek Chicken Salad– all the flavors of a greek salad.
- Bacon Cheddar Ranch Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless grilled chicken breasts
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Dice chicken and place in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mashed avocado and mix in mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add to chicken and stir to coat chicken in avocado mixture.
- Stir in grapes, celery, and onion.
- Sprinkle toasted pecans on top just before serving.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted May 13, 2015.