Healthy Avocado Sonoma Chicken Salad is creamy and crunchy and loaded with good nutrition. Celery, red onion, and toasted pecans provide the crunch, a mashed ripe avocado and a little mayo give it plenty of creaminess, and halved red grapes add little bursts of sweetness.
Typically I love a chicken salad that’s loaded in mayo.
But more and more I’ve been using a mashed avocado, one of my favorite foods, to provide most of the creaminess for chicken salad. Avocados are so full of healthy fats and they have a creaminess to them that just can’t be beat.
I added just a little mayo to this recipe. Old habits die hard. 🙂
You could use yogurt instead.
I usually eat this Avocado Sonoma Chicken Salad on a bed of lettuce, but it makes a great sandwich too.
I like to use chicken breasts that I have cooked on my grill pan, but you can use any cooked chicken: poached, baked, or even Rotisserie chicken from the store.
Avocado Sonoma Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless grilled chicken breasts
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Dice chicken and place in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mashed avocado and mix in mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add to chicken and stir to coat chicken in avocado mixture.
- Stir in grapes, celery, and onion.
- Sprinkle toasted pecans on top just before serving.