Applesauce BBQ Chicken is covered in an absolutely delicious barbecue sauce that is sweet, peppery, and tangy.
It can be made start to finish in under 30 minutes. Such an easy way to jazz up plain chicken breasts and a great way to use that jar of applesauce in your pantry.
Sear, Then Bake
This 2-part cooking method results in super juicy chicken breasts that really soak up the flavor of the sauce.
- Brown the chicken breasts in a skillet.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and finish cooking in the oven.
Type of BBQ Sauce To Use
I think it’s best to use a sauce that is both sweet and spicy. Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet and Spicy is a good one to use. Kraft Thick and Spicy BBQ Sauce is another good one.
You will need an oven-proof skillet, either stainless steel or cast iron work wonderfully. If you don’t have an oven-proof skillet, just transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
Great Sides To Go With Applesauce BBQ Chicken
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be used instead. They will just need to cook a little longer.
Since chicken breasts these days are huge, I cut each one in half horizonatally into two thinner pieces.
Once you place the chicken in the oven, it can take anywhere between 15 to 20 minutes to cook all the way. It is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
More Easy Weeknight Chicken Recipes
- Italian Dressing Chicken
- Baked Bourbon Teriyaki Chicken
- Cheesy Maple Bacon Chicken
- Sweet and Tangy Oven-Barbecued Chicken
Applesauce BBQ Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup spicy bbq sauce, I use Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy
- 3/4 cup chunky applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season both sides of chicken with black pepper.Heat oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.When hot, add chicken and cook a few minutes per side to brown.
- Meanwhile, stir together bbq sauce, applesauce, chili powder, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- When chicken is browned, pour sauce over it and transfer to oven. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165 F.
2 thoughts on “Applesauce BBQ Chicken”
What do you recommend to serve with this saucy chicken?
Oops, I see you recommended a few items. Nevermind!