This Vintage Coffee Cake made from a box of cake mix is tender and moist with lots of cinnamon flavor and a powdered sugar glaze. It’s a wonderful way to start the day.
This shortcut coffee cake only takes a few minutes to prep. Just mix a box of yellow cake mix (I use Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker) with a cup of sour cream, a little water and vegetable oil, and 4 eggs.
Spread half the batter in a greased 9×13-inch pan and sprinkle a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon on top. Then repeat the layers and pop in the oven. Easy Peasy.
Once the cake has cooled, drizzle on a mixture of powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
If you wish, you could bake this Vintage Coffee Cake in a Bundt pan for about 50 minutes.
Who can complain about starting the day with cake? Not me.
Try these other awesome coffee cakes. This Crescent Roll Coffee Cake is another simple coffee cake made with crescent rolls in a 9-inch cake pan. The flavor of this White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cake can’t be beat. Love those buttery, crunchy macadamia nuts! Apple Crisp Coffee Cake is by far the most popular coffee cake recipe on Spicy Southern Kitchen. Perfect for the fall but so good you’ll want to eat it all year long. Bananas Foster Coffee Cake is flavored with bananas, rum, and pecans. Yum!
Vintage Coffee Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oevn to 325 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, water, and eggs. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar mixture.
- Pour remaining batter on top and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar mixture on top.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until cake is set. Let cool slightly.
- Mix together all glaze ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle on top of cooled cake.