Tortilla Pinwheels, filled with cream cheese, olives, green onions, and green chiles, are such an easy make-ahead party food.
These pinwheels are so versatile. Serve them for a party appetizer, a potluck, brunch, as a snack or gameday treat. Taste great on their own and even better with salsa for dipping.
The pinwheels should be assembled at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours in advance. It’s best to wait to slice them shortly before serving.
A hand-held electric mixer makes it easy to beat together the cream cheese mixture. If you don’t have one, you can make due with a wooden spoon.
What Size Tortillas To Use?
I find 8 to 10-inch tortillas work best for this recipe.
Once sliced, leftovers will keep for a day or two in the refrigerator if you wrap them well so the tortillas won’t dry out. Over time, the tortillas will develop a soggy texture, so try to eat them within a few days.
Tortilla Pinwheels Recipe Tip
Don’t skip the step of warming the tortillas in the microwave. This makes them pliable so they don’t tear when you roll them.
Don’t like olives? Try replacing them with black beans.
Make It Spicy
To make this easy appetizer spicy, either serve with hot salsa or add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the cream cheese mixture.
More Pinwheel Recipes To Try
- Tuscan Chicken Pinwheels
- Chicken, Bacon and Cheddar Pinwheels
- Ham and Pimento Cheese Pinwheels
- Chicken Cranberry Pinwheels
- Muffaletta Pinwheels
- Spicy Italian Pinwheels
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sour cream
- pinch of seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 5 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- Salsa for serving
- Place cream cheese, sour cream, seasoned salt, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Use an hand-held electric mixer to mix until smooth.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese, green chiles (I drain a little of the liquid off first), olives, green onions, and cilantro.
- Place tortillas on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds to make more pliable.
- Divide cream cheese mixture evenly between tortillas. Spread it out leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Roll each one up tightly.Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut off and discard the ends from each tortilla roll. Cut into 1-inch slices.Serve with salsa and additonal chopped fresh cilantro if desired.