Spicy Italian Pinwheels are loaded with cheese, 3 kinds of meat, and peppers. Rolled up in tortillas with a tasty cream cheese mixture, they make a delicious appetizer or lunch. You have all the flavors of an Italian sub in an easy make-ahead appetizer or snack.
They are definitely perfect for gameday.
What I Love About Spicy Italian Pinwheels:
They are make-ahead. These pinwheels can be made up to 48 hours ahead of time, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated. You will probably want to wait to slice them just before serving to prevent them from drying out.
They have a nice spicy kick. A combination of red pepper flakes, banana pepper rings, and pepperoncini peppers add lots of heat.
They are easily customizable. I use 3 kinds of meat: ham, pepperoni, and salami. But you could use whichever meats you want. Add some red onion or sun-dried tomatoes and baby spinach if you like. The provolone cheese can be switched out with American, swiss, or cheddar.
- This recipe makes a bunch and is perfect for sharing.
- They will keep tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
- Use a serrated knife to get clean cuts.
- I like to use large (Burrito-sized) tortillas for this recipe, but you can use medium-sized tortillas instead.
- Be sure to microwave the tortillas first. It will make them more pliable and help prevent them from tearing when you roll them up.
Try These Other Amazing Pinwheel Recipes:
- Ham and Pimento Cheese Pinwheels
- Chicken, Bacon, and Cheddar Pinwheels
- Muffaletta Pinwheels
- Chicken Cranberry Pinwheels
Spicy Italian Pinwheels
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 12 thin slices Provolone cheese
- 12 thin slices ham
- 12 thin slices sandwich-style pepperoni
- 12 thin slices salami
- 1/2 cup sliced roasted red pepper, patted dry
- 1/3 cup banana pepper rings, patted dry
- 6 pepperoncini peppers, sliced and patted dry
- In a medium bowl, use a hand-held electric mixer or a wooden spoon to mix together the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Italian salad dressing, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for 20 seconds.
- Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture on each tortilla.
- Arrange 4 slices of cheese on each tortilla, keeping it at least 1/2 inch away from the edge of the tortillas.
- Place a layer of ham, pepperoni, and salami on top of the cheese.
- Evenly scatter the roasted red peppers, banana peppers, and pepperoncini peppers on top of the salami.
- Tightly roll each tortilla up and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, cut into slices. The end pieces won't have much filling. Either snack on them while you slice the pinwheels or discard them.