Muffaletta Pinwheels have all the flavors of the iconic New Orleans sandwich. Salami, ham, mortadella, cheese, and olive relish combine to make a tasty appetizer.
The Muffalaetta has become a very famous sandwich and for good reason. Salvatore Lupo of Central Grocery in New Orleans is credited with inventing the muffaletta sandwich. Apparently he needed a way to use up the olives left at the bottom of a barrel.
These chilled tortilla roll-ups have a creamy cream cheese base. They couldn’t be easier to make, plus they can be made well in advance. It’s best to wait until shortly before serving to slice them because it’s harder to keep them wrapped well once sliced and the tortillas will dry out over time.
These Muffaletta Pinwheels are perfectly creamy and full of bold flavors. The saltiness of both the meat and the olive salad makes them a totally craveable appetizer. Cut into pinwheels, you have a finger-friendly party food that’s so much less messy to eat than a muffaletta sandwich.
For best results, use a sharp serrated knife to slice the pinwheels.
Try these other Muffaletta-inpired recipes:
- Muffaletta Sandwiches– this is my take on the famous sandwich
- Muffaletta Dip– a cold dip that’s great with pita chips
- Muffaletta Salad– this salad is full of meats and cheese
- Muffaletta Pizza– a delicious pizza with muffaletta-based toppings
- Muffaletta Panini– all the muffaletta ingredients in a warm, crispy sandwich
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced genoa salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced mortadella
- 1/3 pound sliced provolone cheese
- whole kalamata olives, optional
- Combine all olive salad ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Using a hand-held mixer, beat cream cheese and garlic powder until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread tortillas with cream cheese, dividing it evenly between the 5 tortillas.
- Spread a layer of olive salad on each tortilla and top with layers of ham, salami, mortadella, and provolone, dividing each ingredient evenly between the tortillas.
- Roll each tortilla up tightly and wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight is fine).
- Slice each tortilla roll. Top with an olive and toothpick if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for lots of short cooking videos.
12 thoughts on “Muffaletta Pinwheels Recipe”
Took it on a picnic to the zoo. I was a big hit with my family. Made them up the evening before then sliced them the next morning perfect finger food. Didn’t read the directions properly and cut up the Kalamata olives like the other olives and mixed them it was perfect. Didn’t put one on the top. I couldn’t find the 3rd meat but didn’t need it. The left overs were eaten on the way home from the zoo. It was delish.
This is a great recipe! Thank you for sharing it!
These were fantastic! I made them 2 weeks before a baby shower, froze them and they were perfect. After chilling them for 2 hours, I cut them and wrapped with plastic wrap in the same order/position as prior to cutting. I then put the wrapped logs in a ziploc bag in the freezer. I put them in the refrigerator the night before and assembled them on platters just before the shower.
Need more recipes like this one😊
about how many pinwheels per tortillas?
Everyone loved these!
Where can I buy mortadella?
How long assembled can they be in the fridge? Will they get soggy?
They don’t get soggy. You have to worry more about the exterior of the flour tortillas drying out. If wrapped well in plastic wrap, they can be assembled 2-3 days ahead of time.
Hi. The re ips says 12 servings ? How many pieces do you cut each roll I to to get 12 servings. I’m thinking 6 but I do t wa r them too big. Or small. Tx
I much attracted by the muffaletta pinwheels. Can I add gingerly oil instead of olive oil to prepare the dish.