Muffaletta Pizza with all the flavors of the famous New Orleans sandwich on a chewy, homemade pizza dough. Lots of meat, lots of olives, some provolone, garlic, roasted red peppers, and chopped artichoke hearts. This is one easy and delicious pizza!
There’s not really a sauce on this pizza but there is plenty of flavor from the olive mixture that gets spread on the dough. It includes olive oil, red wine vinegar, and garlic.
What Is A Muffaletta Made Of?
A Muffaletta is a famous New Orleans Sandwich made on a round loaf of Italian bread. It contains various meats and cheeses usually including ham, mortadella, salami, and provolone.
The signature part of a muffaletta is the olive salad and it is what makes this muffaletta pizza recipe outstanding. You’ll spread some of it directly on the pizza dough and then add some more as a topping. If possible, make the olive salad a day in advance so the flavors have time to marry.
You will need about 1 pound of fresh pizza dough for this recipe. Either make some yourself or buy some at the grocery store. Most grocery stores have started carrying pizza dough. You can usually find it in a refrigerator in the deli section.
Kitchen Tools I Use
- Pizza Stone– a pizza stone helps get a really crispy crust.
- Pizza Paddle– a Pizza Paddle is very helpful for transferring the pizza to the pizza stone.
- Rolling Pin– you can stretch the pizza dough out by hand or use a rolling pin.
- Pizza cutter– I love this Stainless Steel KitchenAid Pizza Cutter. It is wonderfully sturdy.
More Pizza Recipes
- Chipotle Chicken Pizza
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Pizza
- Sloppy Joe French Bread Pizza
More Muffaletta Recipes
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped olives
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 slices Provolone cheese cut into strips
- 3 slices salami cut into strips
- 3 slices Mortadella cut into strips
- 3 slices Capicolla Prosciutto, or smoked ham, cut into strips
- Mix all ingredients for olive salad. Refrigerate until needed.
- You will need to make your pizza dough a day in advance, refrigerate it and bring it to room temperature for 90 minutes. You will want a ball of dough that is about 8 ounces for each pizza.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees or as hot as it will go with a pizza stone in the oven.
- Use your fingers to press the disk of dough out some and then let it rest for 5 minutes before proceeding. If it gets to where it doesn't want to stretch anymore, let it rest a few minutes.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of olive mixture on pizza dough, being sure to get as much of the liquid as possible. It will flavor the dough and take the place of a sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella on top.
- Scatter sliced provolone cheese and meat on top.
- Finish with about another 1/4 cup olive salad sprinkled on top.
- Use a paddle to transfer pizza to pizza stone and cook until cheese is melted and crust is brown, about 5 -10 minutes depending on how hot your oven is.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted December 9, 2014.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.