Chipotle Chicken Pizza is a delicious California Pizza Kitchen copycat with chipotle salsa as the sauce, chunks of chicken, red onion, and Mexican cheese. Once the pizza is baked it is topped with a black bean-corn salsa, a lime cream sauce, and fresh cilantro for even more flavor.
California Pizza Kitchen has my favorite pizzas. We used to go to the restaurant frequently to eat, but we hardly ever find the time to anymore. I thought the next best thing would be to recreate some of my favorites at home. A couple of weeks ago I posted a copycat version of their Thai Chicken Pizza and I think I like this one just as much.
I totally love Mexican flavors and this pizza is full of them. I think my favorite is the black bean-corn salsa. Pizza has become one of my favorite things to make since I signed up for Perfect Pizza at Home (a free Craftsy video class), and finally after a lifetime of trying, I have become adept at making homemade pizza dough. I won’t go on too much about how much I love this class since I already have here and here.
For this Chipotle Chicken Pizza recipe, you will need a Pizza Baking Stone, a Pizza Peel, and one pound of pizza dough. I suggest using the recipe that is given in Perfect Pizza at Home. The instructions are too detailed for me to do justice here, but you can find it by following the above link and signing up for the free class. And by detailed, I don’t mean hard – just that the instructor gives tons of tips you don’t want to miss out on and seeing the process done in video is a big help if you are a visual person.
Chipotle Chicken Pizza
- 1 cup mild thick and chunky salsa
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 pound pizza dough
Black Bean-Corn Salsa
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Cilantro Lime Cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped, fresh cilantro
- Bring pizza dough to room temperature for 90 minutes.
- You want to heat the oven, with a pizza stone inside, for at least 30 minutes before using it. Oven should be heated to at least 450 degrees. Preferably 500 if your oven will go that high. Use the middle rack for the pizza stone.
- Make the Black Bean-Corn Salsa. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Make Cilantro Lime Cream. Combine ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, stretch or roll the dough into approximately a 12 inch round. I shape it with my hands without it touching any surface, but if you are using a surface, lightly flour it. (Note: There is an excellent demonstration for how to shape dough in the free Craftsy video Perfect Pizza at Home.
- Lightly dust a pizza peel or back of a cookie sheet with cornmeal or flour. Place shaped dough on top. You want to make sure there is enough cornmeal or flour to keep the dough from sticking to the peel or it will get misshapen when you transfer it to the pizza stone.
- Stir together the 1 cup of salsa and the chipotle peppers and spread about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup on the dough. Top with half the cheese, chicken, and red onion.
- Transfer to pizza stone by tilting and shaking the pizza peel until it slides all the way onto the stone. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
- To serve, top with black bean-corn salsa and drizzle with lime cream sauce. (I used a plastic bag and snipped the corner to drizzle the cream sauce. This only works well if you have very finely chopped the cilantro.
- Repeat to make one more pizza.
Get a fabulous pizza dough recipe from the free online class Perfect Pizza at Home. You can watch it anytime, as many times as you like.
More Pizza Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains Craftsy and Amazon.com affiliate links.