Tortilla Eggs are one of the simplest, most economical and delicious breakfasts ever. And there are so many toppings you can add for additional flavor.
A fried egg and cheese are cooked onto a flour tortilla. It’s like an egg tortilla pizza and makes a really tasty breakfast. Also great for a vegetarian lunch.
The tortilla gets wonderfully crispy and this recipe is a terrific way to use up a few leftover flour tortillas that are going stale.
What You’ll Need
- A nonstick skillet– a small one is fine. It just needs to be big enough for the tortilla.
- Butter– greases the pan and adds flavor. You can use salted or unsalted.
- Cheese– I use shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Flour tortillas– 6-inch are best. You can use larger tortillas, but if you do, add 2 eggs. It will be a little more difficlut to flip over a larger tortilla.
- Cajun seasoning or creole seasoning- I like to use Tony Chachere’s.
What To Top It With
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- sliced green onion or diced red onion
- Cholulu hot sauce
The options are endless!
Tortilla Eggs Recipe Tips
- The one downside to this recipe is the egg yolk ends up getting fully cooked in the amount of time it takes to crisp up the tortilla. If you like a runny egg, the tortilla can be partially crisped in the skillet before you add the egg. Remove it from the skillet before you add the egg and then proceed with the recipe.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes:
- Cheesy Creole Breakfast Skillet– full of andouille sausage, shrimp, potatoes, peppers, eggs, and cheese.
- Bisquick Cinnamon Rolls– No yeast or rising needed.
- Easy Blueberry Pie Coffee Cake– A can of blueberry pie filling makes a wonderfully sweet and fruity filling for this coffee cake.
- Sausage and English Muffin Casserole
- Chicken and Waffle Sliders
- Pizza Eggs– a delicious low carb breakfast.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 (6-inch) flour tortilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Hot sauce, sliced avocado, cilantro, salsa, optional
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.Add egg and cook until the egg white turns white. Flip egg over and sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Place a totrilla over the egg and cook for about 1 minute.
- Carefully flip the whole thing over. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and the cajun seasoning. Continue cooking until tortilla is crisp.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.