As soon as September arrives, all I can think about are apples, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes. Sweet Potato Pancakes with Candied Pecans and Marshmallow Syrup are just the breakfast for welcoming fall. They’re like the pancake version of sweet potato casserole.
Cooked mashed sweet potato is added to the pancake batter. The sweet potato gives the pancakes a beautiful orange hue and adds a touch of sweetness and flavor.
You can use leftover mashed sweet potatoes, but what I do bake a few sweet potatoes in the oven until they are very soft. Be sure to put them on a baking sheet first because they tend to ooze and you’ll have a burning mess on the bottom of your oven if you don’t. I let them cool. The skin comes off very easily and then I mash them really well with a fork. Then I give them a good stir with the fork to get them even smoother.
Pancakes are one of the most hearty and satisfying breakfasts and I think that’s why everyone loves them. To make these pancakes more wholesome, I used White Lily’s new wheat flour. It’s much lighter in texture than most whole wheat flour and I really love baking with it. Learn all the reasons to love White Lily’s new flour.
The pancake batter is flavored with a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. And yes, these pancakes smell and taste like fall!
On top some pecans coated in butter and brown sugar and a marshmallow sauce made from melted Marshmallow Creme. It’s one outrageously delicious stack of pancakes!
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Candied Pecans and Marshmallow Syrup are just the breakfast for welcoming fall. They're like the pancake version of sweet potato casserole.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, I use White Lily
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- Vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup pecan halves or pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir in sweet potato until evenly combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until mixed.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat. Coat with Vegetable oil.
- Pour batter onto heated and greased griddle, forming pancakes about 4 inches across. Cook until bubbles form on the surface. Flip over and cook until cooked through.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small pan. Add pecans and cook, stirring frequently until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar on top. Stir to coat pecans. Once sugar is melted, remove pan from heat.
- Place marshmallow fluff in a medium bowl. Add boiling water and whisk until smooth.
I like to use White Lily’s new premium Wheat Flour in this recipe but you can use any wheat flour or all all-purpose flour.
More Pancake Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.