This Strawberry, Bacon, and Feta salad is full of contrasting flavors and textures. The strawberries add sweetness while the bacon and feta add saltiness.
There are still a few strawberries left in the strawberry fields near our house, but they won’t be available much longer. They are some of the most juicy and delicious strawberries I’ve ever had, left on the vine until perfectly ripe. They’re so ripe they only last a day or two after picking and that’s OK because they get gobbled up pretty much right away.
One of my favorite ways to eat strawberries or any fruit is in a salad. That didn’t use to be the case. As a child I couldn’t stand the thought of any fruit in a savory dish. I thought it should be illegal!
But as an adult I think I may enjoy fruit in savory dishes even more than in desserts. This salad is one of my favorite flavor combinations: sweet and juicy berries, salty bacon and feta cheese, crunchy romaine and almonds, and a dressing that is both sweet and tangy.
It makes for a wonderful light supper!
- 8 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup almond slices
- 2 tablespoons Raspberry White Balsamic Vinegar or plain white balsamic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Canola oil
- In a large bowl, toss together romaine, bacon, strawberries, red onion and feta cheese.
- To make dressing, whisk together all ingredients, except oil in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.
- Sprinkle almonds on top of salad and drizzle with dressing.
Want to Save This Recipe?