Spicy Sausage Breakfast Enchiladas are filled with spicy ground sausage, tater tots, and pepper jack cheese. This spicy Mexican breakfast is an amazing way to start the day.
These enchiladas can be assembled the night before and baked in the morning.
I think my favorite thing about these Spicy Sausage Breakfast Enchiladas are the crispy tater tots, I can never resist a tater tot. Between the spicy sausage and Pepper Jack cheese, these breakfast enchiladas have a good amount of heat. They are so tasty when topped with sour cream, salsa, and cilantro. I love how the tortillas get crispy around the edges.
This recipe is great for serving a full house of people, but leftovers reheat well. Make them on a lazy Sunday and enjoy them all week long. It’s a filling breakfast, but you’ll have a hard time eating just one of these amazingly delicious breakfast enchiladas.
How to make Spicy Sausage Breakfast Enchiladas:
- Brown and crumble the sausage.
- Cook the tater tots. The easiest and quickest way is to use an Air Fryer. Use the oven if you don’t have an Air Fryer.
- Combine the sausage and tater tots in a bowl with sliced green onions and 1 1/2 cups of shredded Pepper Jack cheese.
- Spread about 1/2 a cup of sausage mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam side down in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk together 5 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon of flour and some salt and pepper. Pour mixture over tortillas.
- Let sit at least 20 minutes so the mixture has a chance to soak into the tortillas a little.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Top with sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.
Next, dig into the best breakfast enchiladas you have ever tasted.
More Breakfast Recipes:
Spicy Sausage Breakfast Enchiladas
- 1 pound hot breakfast sausage
- 2 1/2 cups frozen tater tots
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salsa, sour cream, and chopped fresh cilantro
- Brown sausage in a nonstick pan, crumbling it as it cooks. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl.
- Cook tater tots according to package directions. Or place in air fryer at 400 degrees until crispy. Add to bowl with sausage.
- Add green onions and 1 1/2 cups cheese to the bowl with sausage and stir to mix evenly.
- Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish. Spoon about 1/2 cup of sausage mixture down the middle of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and flour. Pour over tortillas. Cover with a piece of aluminum foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Let sit for 20 minutes or refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.
Recipe adapted from United States of the South
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.