Spicy Chicken Fajitas- flavorful marinated chicken, peppers, and onions make a tasty Mexican meal. Load these fajitas up with lots of toppings for maximum flavor.
The chicken marinates for 1 to 8 hours and cooks up wonderfully tender and juicy with lots of spice. A simple marinade of oil, lime juice, seasoned salt, oregano, cumin, ancho chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper really coats the chicken with flavor.
Get the chicken marinating in he morning and the onions and peppers cut up and this easy dinner can be made in a flash. Serve with as few or as many toppings as you like.
How Spicy Are These Fajitas?
The heat comes form a jalapeno, cayenne pepper, and ancho chili powder and I would say it’s a medium spice level. For extra heat, serve with Cholulu Hot Sauce. Not only does it add heat, it also has great flavor.
How To Serve These Spicy Chicken Fajitas:
Add on all the toppings! There are so many great choices. Shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, diced avocado, pickled jalapenos, guacamole, chopped fresh cilantro, and shredded cheese are all great choices.
Use a cast iron skillet for best results. You can’t beat cast iron when it comes to getting a good sear on foods.
I really recommend using ancho chili powder rather than regular chili powder. It has much more flavor and smokiness. Chipotle chili powder would also be good.
What to Serve With Spicy Chicken Fajitas:
- Spicy Black Beans
- Roasted Corn Salsa
- Fire-Roasted Salsa
- Mexican Rice
- Tex-Mex Pasta Salad
- Blackberry Margaritas
Spicy Chicken Fajitas
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium sweet or yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese blend, sliced avocado, salsa for serving
- Combine 2 tablespoons of oil, lime juice and spices in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat it evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 8 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onion and cook until crisp-tender. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Cook chicken for 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink. Return the pepper/onion mixture to the pan. Once warm, remove from heat.
- Warm the tortillas either in a nonstick skillet or in the microwave.Spoon the chicken mixture down the center or each tortilla and top with desired toppings.Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.