Southern Shrimp Salad is super easy and flavored with a little Old Bay and fresh dill. Serve this creamy shrimp salad on a bed of bibb lettuce for an easy and elegant low-carb lunch or on a buttery croissant with lettuce and tomato. Either way it is absolutely delicious!
This recipe will serve about 4 for lunch but it can easily be doubled or even tripled. It’s a great lunch to make when you’re on a summer beach trip and you have access to super fresh shrimp. It hardly takes any time to prepare.
To make Southern Shrimp Salad, first cook the shrimp with a little apple cider vinegar and Old Bay seasoning. The vinegar should make the shrimp easier to peel. Let them cool and then peel them.
Combine the shrimp with a mixture of mayonnaise and fresh lemon juice. Add some red onion and celery for crunch and Old Bay and chopped fresh dill for seasoning.
It tastes a little better if made about an hour before serving and refrigerated. It will keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days, if it lasts that long. 🙂
More Shrimp Recipes
Southern Shrimp Salad
- 1.5 pounds medium shrimp unpeeled
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Place shrimp in a saucepan. Add water, Old Bay, and vinegar.
- Place over medium-high heat. Stir frequently. When shrimp have turned completely white, they are done. You may see 1 or 2 start to float. This is a sign that they are done. The water may not come to a boil. Do not worry about this. You do not want the shrimp to overcook. If you are unsure, pick one up and gently squeeze it. It should feel firm.
- Run cold water over shrimp to stop cooking. Let cool and then peel shrimp.
- If shrimp are on the larger side, cut them in half or thirds.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, celery, and Old Bay.
- Add shrimp and mix them in. Sprinkle dill on top.
- If desired, Sprinkle a little more Old Bay on top. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.