Bourbon Shrimp are coated in a sweet and salty sauce flavored with bourbon, honey, and garlic. It’s basically the shrimp version of the delicious Bourbon Chicken you get at the mall food court. Only bourbon is actually an ingredient and not just the name.
Bourbon Shrimp can easily be made in less than 20 minutes for a delicious weeknight meal. Serve them over rice with some steamed broccoli for a full meal or they also work great as a party appetizer.
To make Bourbon Shrimp, first mix together all the sauce ingredients in a bowl: bourbon, water, brown sugar, low sodium soy sauce, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, ground ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic, and cornstarch.
For bourbon, I like to use Maker’s Mark. It has a nice, smooth flavor. But use any bourbon that you enjoy.
Cook some medium shrimp in a tablespoon of oil. Once the shrimp are just cooked, remove from the pan and add the sauce to the pan. Simmer it until thick and add the shrimp back in and toss to coat them. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Tips for Cooking Shrimp:
Shrimp cook very quickly and can easily be overcooked. They really only need a couple of minutes to cook. Cook them too long and they will be rubbery.
You can use frozen shrimp. Defrost them in the refrigerator overnight.
More Shrimp Recipes
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 green onion sliced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together bourbon, water, brown sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook just until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add sauce mixture to the pan and cook until thickened. Return shrimp to pan, remove from heat and stir to coat the shrimp in sauce.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.