Garlic Butter Shrimp is such an easy party appetizer. It also makes a wonderful main dish when served with fresh bread and a salad. The whole thing can be ready in under 20 minutes!
Shrimp are roasted in lots of butter and garlic with a little extra flavor from a lemon, fresh rosemary, and parsley.
The fresher and larger the shrimp, the better the Garlic Butter Shrimp will be. I’m fortunate I live just a few miles from the South Carolina coast and have easy access to some of the freshest, most delicious shrimp in the world.
I’ve used parsley and rosemary to flavor the garlic butter sauce, but you could use chives, thyme, or basil instead. Be sure to serve Garlic Butter Shrimp with lots of fresh French bread to mop the sauce up with.
A Word About Deveining Shrimp
I feel deveining shrimp is a personal preference, and I rarely devein my shrimp. Most home cooks I have met in the coastal areas of the Carolinas do not devein shrimp. The shrimp I get are usually relatively clean and I rarely notice any grit by leaving the vein in. It’s up to you whether you take the time to devein or not. Oftentimes, if a shrimp has a large vein, you can grab ahold of it and easily pull it out in one piece.
More Shrimp Appetizers
- Buttery Broiled Shrimp
- Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Pepper Jelly Glaze
- Creamy Tuscan Shrimp
- New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp
- Spicy Shrimp Dip
- Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
Garlic Butter Shrimp
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place shrimp in a nonstick pan and melt over medium heat
- Once it starts to melt, add garlic, rosemary, parsley, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat once fully melted.
- Zest the lemon and add to butter mixture. Slice the lemon and add slices to the bottom of a 9-inch or 11x7-inch baking pan.
- Place shrimp on top of lemon slices. Pour butter mixture over them.
- Place in oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh bread.