These cupcakes are a chocolate/peanut butter lover’s dream with double the Reese’s goodness. Hidden on the bottom of the cupcake is a full-size Reese’s peanut butter cup. A light and fluffy and fabulously delicious peanut butter frosting covers the chocolate cupcakes. The peanut butter frosting alone is worth making the recipe. I couldn’t keep my fingers out of the bowl. 🙂 Don’t tell my personal trainer about it or I’ll be doing Burpees until the cows come home. To get even more Reese’s goodness, I sprinkled the frosting with Reese’s Pieces.
Freezing the peanut butter cups keeps their shape intact so that they form a nice bottom layer instead of melting into the batter.
I was a little disappointed with the chocolate cupcake batter I used. Why is something so basic as a good chocolate cupcake recipe so hard to find? It was a recipe from my Chocolate Chocolate cookbook and I’ve never been disappointed with a recipe from it before. The cupcakes turned out crumbly in texture and the flavor was flat.
Since I wouldn’t recommend it, I didn’t include the cupcake batter recipe. Instead, just use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe or use a box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix and follow the instructions for making a cupcake batter. Much easier and fullproof.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix, plus ingredients on box
- 18 regular size peanut butter cups, frozen
- 1 box Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Mix cake batter according to box instructions.
- Place a peanut butter cup at the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Spoon cupcake batter into cupcake liners, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until firm to the touch on top. Let cool.
- For Frosting, combine butter and peanut butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add in vanilla extract. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and heavy cream. Beat on high for a good 30 seconds.
- Spread frosting onto cupcakes with an offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Sprinkle with Reese's Pieces.
More Cupcake Recipes: