These cupcakes are a chocolate/peanut butter lover’s dream with double the Reese’s goodness. Hidden on the bottom of the cupcake is a full-size Reese’s peanut butter cup.
Light and Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
A light and fluffy and fabulously delicious peanut butter frosting covers the chocolate cupcakes. The peanut butter frosting alone is worth making the recipe. I couldn’t keep my fingers out of the bowl. 🙂 Don’t tell my personal trainer about it or I’ll be doing Burpees until the cows come home. To get even more Reese’s goodness, I sprinkled the frosting with Reese’s Pieces.
Double Reese’s Cupcakes Recipe Tips:
Freezing the peanut butter cups keeps their shape intact so that they form a nice bottom layer instead of melting into the batter.
A box of cake mix is used to make this recipe quick and easy. Either Devil’s Food Cake Mix or chocolate cake mix can be used.
Place just a spoonful of batter in the bottom of each cupcake liner and then place the peanut butter cup on top. The batter will keep the peanut butter cup from sticking to the liner.
More Peanut Butter Cup Recipes To Try:
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix, plus ingredients on box
- 18 regular size peanut butter cups, frozen
- 1 box Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Mix cake batter according to box instructions.
- Place a small spoonful of batter in the bottom of each cupcake liner.Place a peanut butter cup on top of the batter in each cup.
- Spoon cupcake batter into cupcake liners, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until firm to the touch on top. Let cool.
- For Frosting, combine butter and peanut butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add in vanilla extract. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and heavy cream. Beat on high for a good 30 seconds.Taste for seasoning and add a pinch of salt if needed.
- Spread frosting onto cupcakes with an offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Sprinkle with Reese's Pieces.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published Sept 8, 2013.
More Cupcake Recipes: