York Peppermint Patties give these Peppermint Brownies a burst of peppermint flavor. A great way to give brownies a little Christmas flavor!
I love the cool, refreshing taste of peppermint patties. The peppermint flavor is such a wonderful complement to the flavor of chocolate. The simple addition of peppermint patties to a regular brownie batter changes the whole flavor profile.
Brownies are my favorite sweet treat and I’ve tried countless ways of making them. Scroll down for more Brownie Recipes.
These brownies are super easy to make because they rely on cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate. The other ingredients are your basic brownie ingredients which you are likely to have on hand: sugar, flour, eggs, butter, and vanilla extract.
Equipment Needed For Peppermint Brownies
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 9×13-inch baking dish
Why Add Boiling Water
The boiling water helps “bloom” the unsweetened cocoa powder. Blooming the cocoa powder helps intensify its flavor and also helps prevent the cocoa powder from making the brownies dry.
York Peppermint Patties
The peppermint patties get placed on top of the brownie batter. You will need about 22. Press down on them slightly so they sink down into the batter as the brownies bake.
Be careful not to overbake your brownies or they will have a dry texture.
Store at room temperature for 4 to 5 days in an airtight container or wrap individually and freeze for up to 2 months.
More Brownie Recipes To Try
- Peanut Butter Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Fudge Topped Brownies
- Lunch Lady Brownies
- Praline Brownies
- Nutella Brownies
- Double Frosted Bourbon Brownies
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 22 York Peppermint Patties
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13×9-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Whisk in half the melted butter.
- Add boiling water and stir until mixture thickens.
- Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining butter
- Stir in flour, vanilla, and salt.
- Stir in peppermint patties and transfer batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: Hersheys