Double Frosted Bourbon Brownies are super moist and chocolaty brownies with tons of walnuts, drizzled with two coatings of frosting. These rich and boozy brownies are not for the faint of heart.
And they are not for children either since the bourbon is added to the cooked brownies. These are strictly an adult only treat. I’m ok with that.
With a hefty dose of bourbon flavor, these Double Frosted Bourbon Brownies are maybe only for bourbon lovers. Luckily there are a lot of those. Sweet, delicious bourbon. It goes so well with chocolate. And many other flavors. I have a whole section of bourbon recipes if you’d like to take a peak. 🙂
This is an old, old recipe I’ve had for ages from the To Market, To Market cookbook by the Jr. League of Owensboro. Junior League Cookbooks are the best aren’t they? I love when I stumble across an old one at a flea market. They really contain a treasure of community recipes.
These Double Frosted Bourbon Brownies are truly decadent. Drizzling, or maybe I should say soaking, the brownies with bourbon makes an extra moist and fudge-like brownie. They would be truly delicious on their own, but they’re taken to another level of deliciousness with a layer of white icing and a chocolate glaze. Truly scrumptious. Good thing you won’t have to share with your kids.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, shortening, and water. Over medium heat, bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate morsels and vanilla and stir until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add dry ingredients and walnuts and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9-inch square pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Evenly drizzle bourbon over brownies. Cool brownies completely.
- For white icing, combine butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add in powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread brownies with White Icing.
- For Chocolate Glaze, combine morsels and shortening in a heavy bottomed small saucepan (or a double boiler). Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted.
- Pour warm Chocolate Glaze over top of white icing. Let set and cut into squares.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.