One Pot Ziti with Italian Sausage and 3 kinds of cheese makes a delicious weeknight meal and there’s hardly any clean-up at all. As a bonus, you can have this meal made start to finish in about 30 minutes.
The ziti gets cooked right in the pot with the sauce, so there’s no need to clean a separate pot.
The sauce has plenty of tomato flavor from diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. I like to use sweet Italian sausage and then add just a few red pepper flakes to give the sauce just a little spice.
Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and Ricotta cheese give One Pot Ziti tons of cheesy flavor.
To make One Pot Ziti, I used my brand new Le Creuset Dutch Oven . I am in love with this pot. Isn’t the color gorgeous? Le Creuset products are extremely high quality and they retain heat really well, cooking your food evenly every time. They are pots you will keep for a lifetime.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
One-Pot Ziti is full of ground Italian sausage and 3 kinds of cheese. Makes an easy and delicious weeknight meal!
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed if in casings
- 1/2 a medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups uncooked ziti
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound whole-milk mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- Place sausage in a Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, breaking sausage up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once sausage is about halfway cooked, add onion. Cook 2 to 3 more minutes and add garlic. Cook 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add water and ziti. Stir well to get the ziti submerged. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente. (You still want it fairly firm because it will continue to cook for a while longer.)
- Remove Dutch oven from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. With a spoon, dollop ricotta cheese on top. Place Dutch oven in oven under the broiler until cheese on top is hot and melted.
More Pasta Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.