Meatball and Tortellini Soup is a hearty soup full of Italian-style meatballs and cheese tortellini plus some fresh spinach in a tomato broth. Using frozen, pre-cooked meatballs is a great way to cut down on cooking time and get supper on the table in a hurry.
How To Make Meatball and Tortellini Soup
To make Meatball and Tortellini Soup I saute some onion in a little olive oil. I then add a minced clove of garlic, a can of beef broth (you could use chicken broth instead), diced tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, plus some oregano. I let the frozen meatballs simmer for about 15 minutes and then add a package of refrigerated tortellini. Once the tortellini is almost tender, I add some spinach and some heavy cream to give the soup some creaminess.
Note: I accidentally left the heavy cream out this time and found the soup to be absolutely delicious without it.
It’s the Johnsonville Meatballs that really give this Meatball and Tortellini Soup an incredible flavor. Johnsonville Frozen Meatballs come in three varieties: Classic Italian, Homestyle, and Three Cheese. I used the Classic Italian which has a wonderful blend of premium cuts of pork with basil, garlic, and Italian-style spices. Johnsonville Meatballs can be found in the freezer aisle at your grocery store. Because they are precooked, in just a matter of minutes they can be heated and added to your favorite Italian dishes.
Johnsonville also makes frozen Italian Sausage Slices that would be awesome in this soup.
I love changing up the flavor of recipes by using sausage instead of ground beef. It can turn an old recipe that you’ve grown tired of into a brand new meal that the whole family will enjoy.
If you like using your slow cooker, be sure to try this Slow Cooker Meatball and Tortellini Soup.
More Soup Recipes
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Creamy Ham and Tortellini Soup with White Beans
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1//2 teaspoon salt
- 12-16 frozen Johnsonville Italian meatballs
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated tortellini
- 2 leaves handfuls baby spinach
- 1/3 cup heavy cream optional
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, salt, and meatballs.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tortellini and simmer just until barely al dente.
- Stir in spinach leaves and heavy cream.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.
Originally posted December 20, 2015.