Lasagna Stuffed Peppers are a delicious way to enjoy the flavor of lasagna without the carbs and to take advantage of the lower prices of peppers late in the summer. I love the flavor of orange, red, and yellow peppers and their color is even more awesome than their flavor.
I usually like to grab one in each color when I make stuffed peppers and have a rainbow of stuffed peppers. 🙂
To make these peppers, which are similar to my Lasagna Zucchini Boats, I start by making a super thick meat sauce with ground beef.
The bottom of the peppers get stuffed with a mixture of cottage cheese (you can use ricotta instead), an egg, and Parmesan cheese. Then the meat sauce goes on top.
I mix the leftover sauce with a small can of tomato sauce and pour it in the bottom of the baking dish. Having a little liquid surround the peppers as they cook helps get them soft and then you have extra sauce to spoon over the peppers.
Once the peppers are mostly cooked through, I add the mozzarella cheese and pop it back in the oven to finish cooking. You will need to adjust the cooking time to suit your tastes. I like my peppers to still have a little crunch so I cook them about 35 minutes, but you may want to cook them up to 15 minutes longer to get the peppers really soft.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 (green red, yellow, or orange) peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 1 (7-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Add ground beef to a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Break apart with a wooden spoon and add onion. Cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Add garlic to pan with beef and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, black and crushed red pepper, and water. Stir to mix well and let simmer for 15 minutes. Mixture should be very thick, but add more water if you want to thin it.
- In a small bowl, stir together cottage cheese, egg, and Parmesan cheese.
- Place pepper halves in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spoon cottage cheese mixture into pepper halves, dividing evenly.
- Scoop ground beef mixture into pepper halves. You will probably have some ground beef mixture leftover. Mix it together with the tomato sauce and spoon into bottom of baking dish so that it covers the bottom.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle mozzarella on peppers.
- Return baking dish to oven uncovered and bake another 5 to 10 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Summer Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.