Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Peppers make a delicious vegetarian meal. Colorful bell peppers are sliced in half and stuffed with a cheesy broccoli and rice filling.
As vegetables go, is there anything better than broccoli with lots of cheese? I think not. It is a fabulous combination.
Stuffed peppers are great for adding in extra veggies to a meal. You can use any color you like: grren, red, yellow, or orange. Or use a mixture of colors. Place them all on a serving platter together and you have a rainbow on a plate!
The rice gets cooked in vegetable broth, garlic powder, and paprika for extra flavor. If you’re not concerned about making it vegetarian, you can use chicken broth.
I like to add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to this dish to make it a little spicy. If you don’t want it spicy, cut the amount back to 1/4 teaspoon and it will have just a little kick.
In addition to lots of cheddar cheese, a little cream cheese is added to make the filling creamy and rich. So good!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups very small broccoli florets
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 bell peppers, any color
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and cook onion and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add broth , rice, salt, paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes. Cover and cook on medium low for 20 minutes.
- About 3 minutes brofore done, open lid and dump broccoli on top. Place lid back on. This will steam the broccoli a little.
- After the 20 minutes is up, Stir in the broccoli and the cream cheese. Place lid back on and let sit 5 minutes to melt cheese and cook broocoli more. Stir in 1 ½ cups of the cheddar cheese (6 ounces).
- Cut each pepper in half and get rid of the seeds and membranes. Place in a baking dish and heat oven to 400 degrees. Fill peppers with rice mixture. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese on top and bake 5 more minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Stuffed Peppers