Japanese Zucchini is sauteed with onion in soy sauce and teriyaki sauce plus a few red pepper flakes for spice. Makes a great side dish for any Asian meal or grilled seafood, chicken, or steak.
Or you can serve it over rice for a delicious vegetarian meal.
We always have so many zucchini during the summer months. I’m constantly trying different ways to cook with them and I think this is my favorite. It is so easy and the cooking time is just minutes. Even my kids love this dish. I can make a huge pan full and it disappears in a hurry.
Japanese Zucchini Recipe Tips:
You can add a pat of butter to the pan at the end for extra flavor and a little richness.
The soy sauce and teriyaki sauce add a nice saltiness. Use low-sodium soy sauce if you need to keep the salt level down.
You can easily change this recipe up to suit your tastes and use up the ingredients you have on hand. Mushrooms are a great addition as is a little garlic. Some broccoli would be great added to the pan as well. You can also experiment with how big or small you want your zucchini pieces.
Cook just briefly if you want the zucchini to still have some crunch or longer if you want it completely soft.
Sometime we like to add a little store-bought Yum Yum Sauce when we serve it. A drizzle of sesame oil is also good. You can add a little Sriracha sauce or chili garlic sauce if you want it spicier.
Try These Other Zucchini Recipes:
- 3 medium zucchini,
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teapsoon toasted sesame seeds.
- Cut zucchini into 2 inch long pieces and then cut each piece into 6 wedges.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add zucchini and onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 more minutes or until soft enough for your liking.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.